the lab

I don't remember what happened between getting caught with Nora at the stairs and waking up in the lab. What I do know is that a long time must have past, as my stomach felt painfully empty. I looked down to see unfamiliar clothes, when I noticed the wrist and ankle restraints I was now sporting.

'What do you think they're gonna do to us?' Nora's voice, timid as ever, bounced through the long room towards me. I tilted my head to see her in a similar position, with new clothes and restraints. We both turn with a start at the sound of a door opening, to reveal two people in scrubs. If it weren't for her striking black hair I doubt I would have recognised the woman who had earlier found us at the stairs, as her face was covered by a surgical mask and goggles. She walked towards Nora with a syringe in hand, while Nora began to kick and scream. The other doctor made their way towards me.

You'd think having spent several days with him would have caused me to recognise the boy coming towards me, but it wasn't until Seth was stood over me grinning that I realised it was him. I was sedated before any panic could set in.

* * *

'Hey, over here! Where's that Leah chick?'

'Does anyone recognise her?'

'She wasn't with us'

'Do you think she's one of them? Should we, you know, try to lock her up or something?'

When I came to I could taste saltwater in my cheeks, drying out my mouth. I was still wearing the clothing I was dressed in in the lab, though from the dampness and sand in my bra I theorised that I must have been left in the sea to wash up on shore. Before I could open my eyes fully to look around, I began coughing the driest cough I had ever felt, as though I hadn't drank water in weeks. I felt someone pour water in my mouth, and began to open my eyes properly and take in what was happening.

Standing over me were many familiar faces, though I'm sure to them mine wasn't familiar at all. Kirin, Shelby, Henry and Bo were staring at me, the boys stood and Shelby knelt at my side giving me the water. She sat me up so that I could drink it without coughing it back up, which was when I saw the others; Leah, Rachel, and Dot, standing far away, visibly cautious by my arrival. Leah wasn't wearing the same clothes she wore on the roof, which was the last time I saw her. God knows how long ago that was; the pit of hunger was still growing in my stomach, right next to a knot of confusion.

Leah locked eyes with me at once, as if she knew exactly who I was without saying anything. She didn't look angry; I think she knew that the fact I was out here with them meant I wasn't the enemy anymore. I opened my mouth to say something, knowing what I wanted to say was 'Leah' though the wrong name come out. 'Nora' left my mouth before I passed out into Shelbys arms.