on the roof

'Leah. LEAH. What are we going to do' Fatin stood over Leah, shaking her by the shoulders as the others seemed to make their choice; stay on the roof or go back into the hell they had just been through. The girls all seemed to look to Leah for orders on what to do, while the boys seemed more dispersed. Raf sat on his own, his leg bouncing anxiously while he cradled his head in his hands. Kirin and Josh seemed to be having a very one sided conversation, with Kirin arguing with himself and Josh agreeing with whatever he said last. The other boys broke off in pairs to argue about what to do next.

The girls, on the other hand, came together in a huddle. Toni, who hadn't let go of Martha's hand since she saw her, looked over at Shelby, who returned her anxious glance in silence. Rachel and Dot seemed focussed on the conversation between Fatin and Leah, or rather the lack of conversation. They stared at each other, seemingly understanding exactly what the other was thinking without saying a word.

'Fuck you, I'm not going fucking anywhere' Leah stared straight into the camera in front of her, picked up a rock from the ground and smashed the camera. A dubious effort really, there were 15 other cameras up there, many that they would never find.

'That's Seth's voice. That's fucking Seth, Kirin' Raf had now stood up and was headed straight for Kirin and Josh. 'He's fucking part of this, he's always been a part of this.' His voice was shaking so much that I felt compelled to ask Seth what had happened in the boys group that affected them all this much.

* * *

I hadn't been told anything about the boys group, other than that they only last 36 days while the girls lasted the full 50- though not without my attempts to have the girls extracted sooner. There was one week where I was pleading with Gretchen to let me take Leah out of the experiment, saying we could go in during the night, sedate her, let the girls think she wandered off. Gretchen argued that this would be detrimental to the study, let alone the other girls mental states. But that didn't matter to me. I would watch the group for hours and never take my eyes off of Leah. Her confidence, her moxie, her absolute unwillingness to give up. I was just so naturally drawn to her.

When the girls were finally extracted, Gretchen wouldn't allow me to meet them. She said that I could make my assessments without speaking to them, due to how obsessed I had become with getting Leah out of the experiment. That was when she began to treat me as if I were a subject too. I was in a locked room, only allowed out to discuss my professional opinion on the psychological impact on the girls, Leah and Martha being our main concerns.

Martha seemed to become catatonic in the last few days. After her seemingly psychotic break on day 46 I told Gretchen she needed to be taken out, but she pushed back saying there were only 4 days until extraction. That she would survive until then. I disagreed. When the girls arrived in their rooms in the facility, I kept a close eye on her and Leah, mesmerised by how smart and resourceful Leah was when breaking out and going to speak to Raf. Martha on the other hand remained silent and still for a while, occasionally letting out a tear. Gretchen allowed me to see her when she realised her condition wasn't improving.

Sitting opposite Martha on the prison-esque bed, I noticed that although her eyes didn't lift to look at me, her body shifted to acknowledge my presence. I began an arduous process of cognitive therapy and within a week she was speaking again, although her body hadn't quite caught up and she was still struggling to walk by herself.

* * *

'Why the fuck are we listening to her, Raf? Huh? I wouldn't be surprised if you were in on this with your buddy Seth.' Kirin exploded as Raf sided with Leah, deciding that they should stay on the roof. 'Did you tell her what he did?'

'Kirin stop, I said we weren't going to talk about it' Josh, who had previously cling to Kirin like a shadow, jumped in between Raf and Kirin. 'Does anyone even understand what's going on?'

Fatin left Leah's side momentarily and stood up. 'Yeah. We're in some fucked up experiment orchestrated by that bitch from the plane video. And, apparently, your sketchy friend Seth. Anyone else wanna come forward and admit their part of this sadistic orgy plan?'

Rachel noticed that both Leah and Shelby had turned to look at her. 'Oh fuck you as if I had anything to do with this'

'Not you, Rachel. We think..' Shelby trailed off, looking down at her hands.

'Nora?

Motherfuckers. You want to accuse my dead sister of being a part of this? Seriously?' Rachel turned to look at Leah. 'Of course this is you. You've had your fucked up theories since we got here and what, you decided pinning everything on the dead girl would make it make sense? Let me guess Jeannette was in this secret conspiracy too? And what she, just climbed out of her grave to go to secret meetings with my sister?'

Rachel lunged for Leah and was held back by Dot and Toni. Leah stayed silent, staring at the ground. I looked over at Nora, who was silently sobbing, her eyes fixed on her sister. Seth seemed disinterested in the girls argument completely, staring at the boys on a separate screen.

* * *

'I need to see her. I can't be here' Nora frantically gathered her things and ran for the door. I followed behind her, leaving Seth alone at the monitors. Nora and I hadn't spoken much due to her being on the island for the first few weeks of the experiment and when she arrived in the facility she barely spoke at all. Still, I felt I should go after her to help. She ran out the small monitoring room and down a small hall leading to the stairs. Once she reached the door to the stairs she grabbed the keys that had been left with us and tried them one by one.

'Ladies, ladies. What's going on' a voice echoed from behind us. This wasn't Seth; we were aware that others were left there by Gretchen, after all leaving three 18 year olds in charge of 'her baby' was unthinkable. We turned to see Harry, a man that I had met a few times when he would come in to speak to Gretchen, standing with a lady who neither of us seemed to recognise. 'I hope you weren't trying to get to the subjects. we can't let you do that.'

Nora turned to face them, with a look of determination I had never seen on her, one that her sister wore constantly. 'Fuck you. That is my sister and you ar torturing her.' I tried to match her confident stance even though I could feel my left leg shaking. 'Those kids, the girls, they are going insane. This isn't what I agreed to.' I said, hoping they couldn't hear the nervousness in my voice.

'Now girls, we can't have you tampering with the experiment. And, well, if we let you go it seems as though you wouldn't keep this a secret.' The woman stepped towards us, the stench of unearned confidence overwhelming us. 'So, what to do with the two of you?'