2: 'You Don't Belong Here.'

Playlist songs for this chapter:
Oxbow B- Lorn

2/6/24 Edit: Changed title cuz it glitched??
***

I strained against what should've been the light to open my eyes. It took me no time to remember where I was, and I started up with a quickness. Right into the front leg of hellhorse, who grunted in response. His body blocked the fluorescents from my view. I landed back on my ass, which was damp from the carpet.

Two thoughts fighting for dominance in my one-track mind: Now is not the time to be asleep, stupid...

And the second which I spoke out loud, "what the fuck are you doing-" I remembered who- or what- I was talking to. "Here... still..."

Death-stallion looked down at me and moved his front leg that I had just bumbled into in my rush to get up. He was standing over me in almost a... protective way? Or was he just about to eat me?

Keeping one glowing eye on our surroundings, he glanced down at me, then directed his attention back to the rooms around us. "You hyperventilated and took a fall. Being unconscious here is dangerous... you could've been eaten alive," he rumbled.

I narrowed my eyes and blinked at him, trying to hide a chill running down my spine. What was that supposed to mean? He towered above me even moreso when I was on the ground, and looked ominous as all hell standing over me like that. His entire body was visibly tensed with anticipation and adrenaline. I still wasn't completely certain that I wouldn't end up as his meal. "So you stayed with me because..."

My eyes traveled over the length of his well muscled, heavy-draft body. He resembled a horse of the Percheron breed. There were scars and marks everywhere, of all shapes and sizes. He had definitely been through some shit... how long has he been in the Backrooms and what has he battled?

"You don't belong here. It's written all over you." His voice held a velvety yet intimidating gruffness, and he nudged my torso when he said it.

"And you do?" I leaned back on one of my hands and pointed at the characteristics in his skin with the other, realizing a bit too late it might not've been the smartest choice. A roughened, hot snort blew out from his skull, making me startle yet again. I attempted to compose myself while he warily scoped out our surroundings. I quickly tried to smooth over what I said. "I- I've never read about equine entities in the Backrooms..."

He swung his head toward me, taking a step forward as his gruffness cut me off. "You won't make it out of here alone. There are other entities here that will disassemble your vessel on sight." If he heard my half-rhetorical question, he ignored it.

I was silent for a moment. Great... disassemble? My breath slowly returned to me. He didn't seem to take offense. "So you're not going to eat me?" I was still entirely stuck on figuring out what he was. I halfheartedly chuckled, my eyes drifting back up to his scars and canines.

"Darling..." he growled, bringing his skull within an inch of my face, purposely making his presence even larger and more intense. His muscles rippled underneath his shiny, jet black coat, and his immense form forced me to look nearly straight up at him.

Oh, fuck. I've done it now. I've pissed him off.

I froze leaning back on my hands in deadly anticipation, feeling the hot air radiate off of him.

His jaws opened to reveal a long tongue not of any equine species, followed by the strong musk of blood that he wore like a cologne.

"Anything that tries to eat you, is my meal."