15: Hunger

Sorry it's been so long. Also, each chapter now has an image to accompany it, so if you haven't, go back and look at those. Some of them are my artwork, some are AI, etc. I use whatever I can to capture the vibe since I don't draw humans. Enjoy!

Songs for this chapter:
Evil Ways (Justice Mix)- Blues Saraceno
This is a Trick- Crosses

***

Nazarius

Nazarius' laser-red eyes flashed open. Despite his injuries, the stallion considered himself fortunate to have emerged with only one permanent affliction. A thin fracture had spiderwebbed down into the center of his right eye socket.

He soldiered on, deciding to bring himself to his feet after his deep rest, while pulling a newfound strength and motivation from his vivid dream. His healing was complete, and he had almost all he needed to spur him onward.

The hope of finding Marzena again brought life back to him promptly. As he rolled off of his side and launched himself up off of the ground, his hind leg muscles pulsed with power, pushing him onto his feet. His spirit was ready, but his physical body still needed something more to run on.

Sustenance.

After rising from the artificially sunlit grassy patch he had found solace in, Nazarius shook his aged, scarred, and muscled body thoroughly, leaving behind almost all traces of yesterday. A thin layer of dust dispersed, floating up and away, along with a grunt. All of the wounds on his withers and neck had closed neatly, yet dried blood still remained on his fur and his skull.

He had devoured the body of the Scratcher out of pure vengeance, but the creature had been bony and lithe, leaving much to be desired. Like fuel to the fire, Nazarius' hunger transformed him into an apex predator within mere minutes of awakening. A burst of adrenaline pumped through his veins, originating from deep within his chest. The stallion directed himself toward the next grassy hallway, then lifted off in a forceful yet controlled manner, falling into a steady, thunderous canter.

It wasn't long until Nazarius found himself in a dim underground setting. The grassy hallways turned back to concrete, and many pipes trailed through, leading to an open and empty parking garage. Here, several overhead lights flickered, and every movement Nazarius made bounced off of the floor, the walls, and the support columns scattered throughout. Steam flowed from some pipes here and there, and the temperature of the air had risen significantly.

Nazarius slowed to a regal trot with his head held high, each smack of his hooves against the concrete announcing his presence in the newfound surroundings. Hot air blew rhythmically from the nasal holes within his skull, and sweat now gathered on the underside of his neck and chest. He scanned back and forth over the area with glaring eyes, staying vigilant for any sign of prey. His mind wandered as he surveyed.

I lost my focus effortlessly- and she was taken from me.

A pang of grief and guilt hit Nazarius in the gut as he trotted on.

But I will find her... and no creature, no entity, no shadow, will stand in my way...

Nazarius threw his head, letting out an outlandish bellow and breaking out into a full-fledged gallop. The cement structure of the parking garage nearly shook as Nazarius engraved each stride of his hooves into the concrete. They nearly slid out from underneath him as he rounded a corner, but the adrenaline pumping through his veins helped him correct his footing instantly.