Opie

Book 1 Chapter 8

Opie

It didn't take long for Rebecca to pack her bag. Opie stood beside Jax as they watched the beauty walk around her house, grabbing items to put in her purse.

"Alright," her voice said as she walked to another room, "All that is left is to make sure my garage doors are locked." Flicking the deadbolt to the white door, the gasp that left his mouth was louder than he thought it would be. Inside her garage was a classic corvette. Walking down the steps, she began moving around items as both men stared at her car and multiple items.

"holy shit," Jax whispered, making Becca raise her head. "You have a corvette? What year?"

"Oh yeah," she said, laughing a bit as she checked the door handle before turning back, "I got it at auction a couple of years back when I first moved to California. It's 1953. It wasn't very good. The paint had chipped, and the windows were smashed. There's no damage to the frame, so I've just been working on it. I just took it and got it painted."

"It's blue," Opie's dry voice said as he stared at the car.

"Tiffany blue," she corrected with a giggle. "I got a 1956 Buick Centurion frame in storage that I'm working on after this. I got it at the same auction."

Opie couldn't take his eyes off the woman as she showed them her vintage record player and different records. "Sam says I'm a bit of a hoarder, but she's crazy clean. Like she purges anything she hasn't worn in a year."

Rebecca turned towards them, smiling as she shrugged a bit. Opie couldn't help but study her face as she spoke with Jax. Her eyes sparkled as Becca pointed out her different items. The way she said about the things she enjoyed was warm and comfortable. Opie noticed how she would scrunch her nose up when she got excited. The more he watched her, started the feeling inside that he thought died when Donna did.

Opie carried out both her bags out of the house as Rebecca made sure to lock all the doors as they left. He was still trying to wrap his head around bringing a woman home. He had tried to stay away from home when Donna first died. The feeling of uncomplete and emptiness was everywhere in that house. Opie didn't even want to bring another woman into Donna's space. However, getting Rebecca didn't seem to make him sick. It felt good. Opie's head kept trying to tell him he should be ashamed. This was the woman he had thought about when he first got out of prison. When he was holding Donna, Rebecca's laugh would be there in his mind like a guilty pleasure. Opie tried to block out the guilt of moving forward, trying to remember Gemma's words as hard as he fought with his heart and head.

"Okay, I'm cleared and ready to go." Her voice broke the war going in Opie's head as he looked up at her.

"Follow me," Opie said as he shut her car door. Walking to his bike, he put his helmet on and started his Dyna. Backing up, Jax and Opie waited for Rebecca to pull out as one got in front of her car while the other followed behind. The club was a family. They took care of their own and made sure each was safe from harm. Opie knew that no matter how good he thought he was at keeping his emotions closed off, they read aloud to the club. Especially Jax, who was his best friend from childhood till now.

He pulled up to his house, noticed his mom's car, and groaned. Opie had forgotten that his mom was picking the kids up today from school. Parking his bike under the cover, he pointed out where Rebecca was to park. Opie always had a strained relationship with Mary. While she was biologically his mother, she was never there for him. Mary had left him and his dad in charming and left for Oregon. He had spent the night with Jax the night she left. Gemma had held the preteen in her arms as Opie cried that night while Jax slept. Opie never cared what Mary thought of him or how he turned out.