Rebecca

Book 1 Chapter 9

Rebecca

The next couple of days had been calm. Rebecca stayed at Opie's house, helping him and the kids out. It was new to her. Becca was so used to taking care of herself that the switch to being responsible for three more was odd. However, she couldn't wipe the smile off her face when she thought about the kids or Opie.

Becca and Opie had set out a routine of sorts throughout the day. Rebecca would get up, get the kids ready for school, and start breakfast. It was something they had just fallen into naturally and stuck. The day after Rebecca came, she took the kids to the store. They needed food and a few supplies, and the kids got something special each. It was fun being with them, Kenny was hilarious, and while Ellie was quiet, Becca knew she needed a friend more than anything. That night Opie tried to give her money back for the things she bought, which she refused. Opie got frustrated until Rebecca pulled out what looked like an old fishbowl. Opie had been confused because he never even knew they had a fish before. Rebecca told Opie to put whatever he felt like in the bowl. If Rebecca felt like she needed money or ran out, she would get what she needed from the bowl.

It was an equal compromise, and they had both agreed to the terms. Rebecca liked it that way. She wasn't much of a fighter. Rebecca lived in a home with a father who would verbally abuse everyone until he started physically abusing them. Yelling and arguing were not something Rebecca wanted, call it a trauma response, but she mainly walked away when someone was yelling at her.

Rebecca's day was going well but boringly slow. Ms. Mills came in today with another complaint about her partial. At the same time, Mr. Wade brought in the two most out of control teenagers to get cleanings. Rebecca could do nothing but roll her eyes at the pair and secretly hoped that Kenny was not that bad when he got older. That thought made Rebecca pause. She had noticed she started to think about the kids as they grew. It was stupid. She knew that there was a fat chance she would even be around when they got to be teenagers. She and Opie were just friends. It was something she had been trying to remind herself of. He was still morning the loss of a wife, and Becca was a hot mess at best. Rebecca couldn't deny the butterflies she got when she would drive to his home or watch him come through the door.

Rebecca's phone went off that afternoon while sitting in her office charting. She was pleasantly surprised when Gemma's name popped up on the caller ID.

"Hey, Becca," the older woman's voice was kind over the phone. Rebecca had become close to Gemma and Tara. Tara and Becca had a lot in common and texted quite often. Being a health care professional wasn't an easy job, and it got stressful when you had people who felt the need to yell at you or throw bodily fluids. "We are having a party at the clubhouse tonight. You should come."

"Like a birthday party?" Rebecca felt like smacking herself when the first thing the thought came out of her mouth. Gemma laughed, but Rebecca doubted bikers had birthday parties anymore.

"No," Gemma finally said, "Like a party, music, drinks. We have a boxing ring so that you might see a fight."

"Oh!" Rebecca hadn't been to a party in a while. Of course, those were more of a business than fun. "I think I have the kids tonight. Ope said he was doing stuff tonight for the club."

"Piney's going to watch them. Opie's already called. He would have called you, but all the guys had left already." The explanation made sense to Rebecca. Even if she felt a little hurt, she didn't get the call. Maybe she was getting close to being on her period. That's the only explanation Becca could make for feeling like that.

"Yeah, sure, I'll come. What time?"

"7, and dress like you're not a Sunday school teacher." With that, Gemma hung up the phone. Crinkling her nose Rebecca looked down at her phone. A Sunday school teacher? She whispered to herself as she looked over at her light pink scrubs and then back up. Opening her phone back up, she called Tara.