Chapter 7

1st p.o.v // Stephanie

Today is adoption day. On the second Thursday of every other month, we hold an adoption day. Of course, people can come in anytime and adopt a kid, but this is the day we all get dressed nice and play nice with each other to coax people into buying us or whatever. We don't get much foot traffic through here, so we have to actually hold an adoption day to grab everyone's attention. It's a day I've never particularly liked. I compare it to going to the pet store. People come in, stare at you, and say, "I want that one!".

This day always makes me anxious, even though I've been through it numerous times. I hold back the nerves and serve a smile instead. At this point, I don't even know if I want to be adopted... again. I've been to a couple homes since I've been here. Both dropped me back off here with more trauma than I left with. It's taught me to never trust anyone. Someone can come in here and give you the best acting performance of their life... but it's just that. Acting. They take you home and it's not the same family you left with. I guess I'm doing the same thing too. I'm acting- showing them what a good kid I can be, but that's not who I am. They see that real quick.

All of the kids have to stay in the dining hall, which is our biggest room in the home. Families come in and talk with Madam Lucille, trying to pick out the best kid for them. I take it back- my comparison. It's a car dealership. What car is right for you? Junior and I sit together at the table, trying not to make heavy eye contact with any of the families. We've both agreed that we're not ready to leave yet. Or if we do, we're a package deal. If one of us goes, so does the other one.

By two o'clock, six kids were adopted. These numbers are record compared to any other adoption day. One of those six kids was Ariana. Yeah, that one hurts a little bit. Fortunately for her, she was excited to finally have a home and a family. She told me she had a good feeling about them. I hope she's right. Before she left, I gave her one last hug and ended with our secret handshake that we've had for years.

"Hey, Steph? Can I tell you something?" Junior turns to me nervously.

"You know you can tell me anything." I respond, facing him.

"I think... I think I like like you." He starts blushing and breaks eye contact.

"Junior..." I start, but I'm interrupted by Madam Lucille walking with a purpose towards us, "wait, why is she walking this way?"

Junior and I both turn to her. She stops right in front of us, "Stephanie Gale. Come with me, please."

I stand up quickly and shrug at Junior. I mouth to him that I'll be back.

My heart starts pounding as I follow Madam Lucille to her office. I've only been back here when I got in trouble or when I got adopted. Both outcomes are scary at this point, especially after what Junior just confessed to me. Now that it's here, I don't want to leave. I think I'd rather be in trouble. Although, if she found out that I snuck out... I'll be worse than in trouble. I'll probably be dead.

I step into the small office. Madam Lucille walks around her desk and sits in the chair. I notice a man sitting in the seat in front of the desk. He wears a black jacket and dark jeans. Once he glances back at me, I instantly know who he is. Tony Stark. The brown hair and eyes, the sharp features and goatee. What on earth is he doing here?

"Sit." Madam Lucille gestures to the seat next to Tony Stark. Does she know that he is THE Iron Man? If she does, then she's totally under-reacting right now. There's a billionaire sitting in her office and she's barely batting an eye.

She hands Tony a small stack of papers. In return, he hands her a decently sized stack of paperwork. He must've been sitting in here for hours doing all of that. It's not an easy process. In the stack she handed him, there's a paper on top that says in bold letters: I WILL BE A GOOD PARENT .