Chapter 27

~~next day~~

I wake up to find the grey clouds hanging low in the sky. I can hear the faint sound of rain pattering against my window and the distant rumble of thunder. I blink my eyes a few times pushing the sleepiness out of my system. I feel as if today is going to be the longest day of my life.

Swinging my legs over the side of my bed, I realize I slept in the same clothes I wore yesterday. After I couldn't stand watching Marc in pain, at his own hands, I left and curled up in bed. I must've fallen asleep.

Revenge fills my veins from head to toe. I can't let Marc live his life in pain. He doesn't deserve this. This is all my fault and I'm going to fix it.

I pull on a red shirt and a black leather jacket. Skinny, blue jeans and black boots. I straighten my hair and check my appearance before leaving the room.

I take the elevator all the way down into the basement. Walking quickly over to Marc's cell, his eyes follow my steps.

"Stephanie, you shouldn't be in here." He says.

"Doesn't matter. I have to ask you something." I say, dodging his confusion.

"Shoot." He says.

"What else is important to Thanos? He obviously doesn't only want you and I." I question.

Marc hesitates, "the...uh...the healing stone. Why?"

"No reason. Just wondering." I respond.

"Where are you going dressed so nicely?" He asks before I leave.

"Night on the town." I say.

"Oh. Be careful." Marc advises me.

Without another response, I turn on my heel and take off. Getting to the ground floor, the Avengers sit around.

"Hey, kiddo." Dad greets.

"I'm going out with Junior for a while. I'll be back in a while. Bye." I said, heading toward the door.

"Wait. You're not going to have anything to eat?" Steve asks.

"No." I respond, exiting the tower.

Before I could close it, a foot stops me. I step aside out on the sidewalk and watch as Loki follows me out. He stares me in the eyes and holds my shoulders.

"What do you think you're doing?" Loki asks me.

"I..I...I'm going out with Junior tonight." I stutter.

"I know you're lying to me, Stephanie." He says, narrowing his eyes, "do not lie to me. Where are you going?"

"Revenge." I respond truthfully.

"On who? Please do not tell me it's Thanos." Loki glares at me, hoping to find answers in my eyes.

"Maybe..." I quietly say.

"Stephanie, what are you thinking? You'll get yourself killed, easily. No doubt." He says.

"I have to. And you know what Marc said, you were all watching the video tape, listening to our conversation. If I don't join Thanos, he'll just come after me anyway. I might as well hand myself over." I sigh.

"Darling. We will protect you. I promise, you're safe here with us." Loki promised.

"You can't make a promise you can't keep." I narrow my eyes, turn on my heel and walk away.

Part of me, wished that Loki would have made me stay and the other part of me wishes to keep going. I'm going to save Marc from this madness.

Getting to the old saw mill, I still find everything untouched since last year when I tore through everything, looking for Demarcus. I swallow down my fear of Thanos and begin down the hatch. The stairwell still as dark as I remember it. The small vacant room, still untouched, as well. It's time to make everything better.