Chapter 1

August was my favorite and least favorite month of the year. August is so peaceful because there's not much to do for the majority of it. There's no Fourth of July holiday to celebrate, and you're in the rhythm of summer. But of course, the flow has to be cut off by school every single time. The wave of summer was crashing on the shore, and I was about to be a senior. My mom hasn't shut up about it since my sister is already in college and I'm the youngest. 

I had decided to spend this last Thursday of summer in Caroline's bed, binge watching "The Vampire Diaries." I was wrapped up in the blankets of her bed with her French bulldog Georgia, and I couldn't really ask for anything better. My eyes were glued to the screen in anticipation as one of my favorite scenes in the show's history played out before my eyes. Maybe it's because my name is Elena or something, but I swear this show has some sort of magical effect on me. 

"Make my heart a better place! Don't tear me down!" I sang along with the TV, waving my arms like I was at a concert while Damon and Elena danced at the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, making my best friend laugh. Caroline's personal concert was cut short by the Beecher front door being swung open, and the voices of Caroline's twin brother and his friends echoed up the stairs. I should have been expecting them, I spent almost every day with Johnny and Caroline and know his hockey schedule inside and out. I turned my head to make a comment about what Natasha had made for dinner, but noticed the zoned out look on Care's face. Trevor had this effect on her since we were freshmen, I couldn't hold in my laughter.

"Care! Elena! Come down for dinner!" Caroline's mom yelled up the steps, which shook her from her daze and she turned to look at me. 

"You know, you could try, and hear me out on this one, talking to him?" I laughed. 

Caroline turned to me with a devious look in her eyes, "And why don't you try talking to Jack?" Yeah, she got me there. 

"That was uncalled for." I said quickly, immediately crossing my arms over my chest. Did I find Jack very interesting? Yes. Did I often find myself having mini strokes in his presence? Yup. Caroline pulled herself off the bed, adjusting her cropped t-shirt.

"Come on Lains, I was kidding." She stuck her tongue out at me to solidify the fact that she was joking, but now she had made me nervous. I could barely string together a coherent sentence most of the time. It was getting better because I had been exposed to him so much in the last year and a half, but still, it wasn't great.

"No. I will continue to watch my doppleganger on Netflix." I said confidently, turning my attention back to the TV in an attempt to ignore my current situation and remain in Caroline's bedroom. It wasn't really a viable option, considering the fact that Natasha had announced my presence in the house when she yelled for us to come downstairs, but I would rather stay here than face him. 

"Come on."

"No." 

Nothing was going to make me move my ass from this bed to that kitchen table.

"Fine, I'll just get Jack to come to come carry you downstairs. Jac-"

That'll do it.

I leapt across the bed karate style to throw my hand over her mouth and cut off her words. I think it was the fastest I've ever moved in my entire life.

"You might be Satan. Like actually, I think you're the devil." I laughed at her ridiculousness. This is why she is my very best friend.

"I know." She grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me out of her room and down the stairs, and I couldn't really struggle out in the open. I headed into the kitchen behind her as she sat down and the only open seat was between her and... Jack. Oh god, I'm going to throw up. I carefully moved to the seat and sat down like the chair was made of glass. I don't think I took a single breath the entire time. His familiar voice filled up my ears and caused goosebumps to sprout up all over my skin.