Chapter 5

Live laugh love hockey season. I was bouncing around my room packing my overnight bag for the first roadie of many this year, I was Muskegon bound. The steady stream of Harry Styles's voice was cut off by the ringing of my phone and I jogged over to my nightstand to see who it was. I was expecting Care or Johnny or Case, maybe even Jack if God wanted to bless me with that. But instead, I was met with the name "Finn Reilly." Confusion swept across my features, why in fucks name was he calling me on a Tuesday night?

"Hey Finn." I said into the phone I put on speaker, shoving my sweatshirt into the bag before flopping onto my bed.

"Hey Lain." He said, causing confusion to take over me again. When did that nickname become a thing? "You comin' tonight?"

"Coming to what?" I racked my brain to what could be happening tonight in Plymouth on a Tuesday the week of the first football game. 

"Jason's party. His parents are gone until Thursday." There was a slight pause. "I could like, pick you up and we could go like, together?"

Hello??? "I can't, I'm going to Muskegon tonight. I won't be back until tomorrow night."

"You're missing school tomorrow? And what the hell is in Muskegon?"

"I'm going with Caroline to Johnny's game. It's the first roadie of the season."

"Can't you just skip it? I want to see you." He asked. As if I would skip spending a weekend in a hotel with Jack for the weekend. And all of my other friends but... Jack. 

"Care and I made a pact. We promised to go to every roadie this season, they're all counting on me. I'm sorry. Next time though." I responded.

"Next time Lain. Have fun and drive safe." 

"Bye Finn, take some good notes for me in Spanish tomorrow."

"I won't let you down." 

As soon as I hung up my door swung open: Jess. 

"I want to see you. I won't let you down." She mocked, throwing herself against the wall. I jumped backwards, not even knowing she wasn't in her college dorm.

"What in fucks name are you doing here? Go to college!" I screamed.

"Remember that dress I ordered for senior year homecoming and never wore?" She didn't even wait for me to answer the question. "Well I got invited to Sig Chi's bid night and came home to get it. Also the dining hall is ass so mom is making me dinner and then I'm leaving. I don't have class until like... 3:30 tomorrow anyways so surprise! But, that wasn't Hockey Boy on the phone. That was Finn. Why was Finn flirting with you?" 

"Okay so I'm not being conceited or losing my mind, that was flirting?" I asked, sitting up to make room for her on the bed. 

"Nope. He's flirting with you. He likes you, and he seems to be doing a more forward job than Hockey Boy, I'm not gonna lie to you."

I opened my mouth to answer but was saved by the bell, Caroline texting me to come downstairs.

"I have to go. Bye Jess."

"Don't run away from the truth!" She yelled after me, but I was long gone. 

"Hello twins. Prepare to be serenaded by the one and only, Harry Edward Styles." I said, immediately turning on "Carolina" by Harry Styles the second I jumped into the infamous Beecher truck. The drive from my house to the USA Hockey arena went by fast and Johnny pulled up in the lot, hopping out of the car to grab his bags. Me and Care followed him out of the car for her to assume the driver's seat and me the passenger side because... duh.