☼︎ Live A Day ☼︎

(Author's Note: I got this idea from a tiktok. I know it's kind of short but I'm hoping I'll think of some better imagines soon.)

y/n's pov

I walk into my house and impatiently wait for Rafe to come over. He said he had something to tell me about and I'm eager to find out what it is. He's kept me waiting all day long.

I hear him ring the doorbell and I rush up from my seat on the couch to answer it quickly. I open the door to see him standing there, smiling his bright, beautiful smile as usual. I love his smile. "Hey baby! I've been waiting all day to see you!" I exclaim before rushing into his arms and engulfing him in one of my huge hugs.

I pull away and give him room to step inside. I follow him to my living room and sit down beside him on the couch.

I look at him expectantly to tell me what I've been dying to hear all day. He doesn't say anything, he just stares at the wall. "You had something to tell me?" I ask him hesitantly. He turns his gaze to me, "Yeah um I did."

He lightly grabs my hands to hold in his rough ones. "I have a challenge for you," He starts. I raise an eyebrow at him. "You, live a day without me." He says. I knit my eyebrows together in confusion. "That's it?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders, "It's as simple as that." He says before laughing lightly. "Oh alright, I accept your challenge Mr. Cameron." I say shaking his right hand. "When does this challenge start exactly?" I ask.

"Tomorrow, you'll wake up and you can't even text me. No communication, no seeing each other, nothing. It'll be like I'm not even here." Rafe says giving me the details of his challenge.

"Alright sounds easy enough." I say smiling.

Rafe's pov

I look at her knowingly and I want this to be as easy as possible. I don't want to have to see her in pain so why not just make it fun?

(...)

"Alright love I'm gonna head out okay?" I say kissing her on the top of her head. "Bye Rafe I love you." She says before kissing me on the lips. I feel my heart sink knowing exactly what's going on tomorrow that she has no clue about. "I love you baby." I whisper to her before walking out of her room.

I close her door behind me and make my way out to my truck and drive home.

When I walk inside my dad comes out of his office and walks over to me. "Hey bud, you ready for tomorrow?" He asks me. I smile a small smile and nod. "As ready as I'll ever be." Ward pats me on the back lightly and smiles at me for a moment.

I see the tears growing in his eyes. "Come here son." He whispers and pulls me into a hug. "I love you, you know that?" He says, I hear him sniffle. "Dad it's okay." I say. "I know Rafe, I know." He whispers.

"Get some sleep and say good night to your sisters will you!" He calls to me from down the hall as I head upstairs. "Got it!" I walk into Sarah's room first.

"Hey Sarah, um, I just wanted to say good night." I say. She gives me a small, sad smile. "Love you Rafe." She stands up from her bed and gives me a long hug, probably the longest hug I've ever had from her. "I love you too Sarah." I hold the back of her head not wanting to let go. We pull away in sync and I smile and walk out of her room, closing her door behind me.

I walk into Wheezie's room. "Hey Wheez," I say as I watch her face light up. "Rafe!" She cheers loudly and rushes over to me giving me a big hug. I giggle softly. I hold her for a while before stepping down on one knee to be more or less eye level with her.

"I love you Wheez, so much. I know it's gonna be hard but you'll get through it, one day at a time." I say, tears welling up in both of our eyes. "R-Rafe I don't want you to go." She says rushing to my arms and burrying her head in my chest. I stroke her back softly while her quiet sobs fill the room. "Wheez it'll be fine alright. Don't you worry." I say pulling away to look her in the eyes. I kiss her on the top of her head and tuck her into bed. I shut the light off, but I'm sure to leave her night-light on, and close her door.

I sigh once I'm in my room and alone. A single tear rolls down my face. I remind myself I have to be strong.

(...)

I wake up early and get dressed, however I'm going to end up changing anyway.

I walk downstairs and eat the breakfast Rose and dad have set up for me. "Thanks for this." I say smiling. "We love you Rafe." Sarah says. Ward smiles at me and then her.

We finish breakfast and our conversations amongst each other. I say my goodbyes and Ward and I leave.

"You ready champ?" Dad asks, patting me lightly on the back as we walk into the hospital. I stop him in front on the main entrance. I try and catch my breath and the words that are jumbled up in my brain. "Dad I don't want to leave her." I whisper trying not to let any tears shed. "I know bud, I know." He whispers pulling me into his embrace. I sniffle after letting the tears fall, "I can't leave her." I sob.

"Rafe, y/n has a love for you that I will never, never ever be able to explain. The feelings you both feel for one another, I see it, Rose sees it, everybody sees it, sometimes if you love somebody that much you have to let them go." I nod into his shoulder and pull away.

I wipe my tears and we walk into the hospital together. As we wait in the waiting room I hand him a letter for y/n. "Dad, can you give this to y/n please." I ask handing him the letter in an envelope. "Yes if course." He says taking the letter into his own hands.

I get called to go into the surgery room. Dad and I walk back together and I try to think of y/n's face, laugh, smile, beauty, y/n's everything to ease the sense of worry, sadness, and pain coursing throught my veins right now.

(...)

y/n's pov

I hear a loud knock at my door wondering who it could be. I walk downstairs and open the door to find, "Ward?" I say confused. I furrow my eyebrows together in confusion. He sighs and waits a moment to speak. "This is for you," He says handing me an envelope with 'My Love' written on the front in Rafe's handwriting. "It's from Rafe."

"What?" I ask. "There's something he wasn't telling you, I'm guessing you'll need some time." He says giving me a sad, forced smile. I give him a hug before he walks to his car parked in the driveway.

After closing the door, I sit down on the couch to open the envelope. Slowly opening the piece of paper inside I begin reading from the top.

My Love,

I'm sorry it has to be this way. I never wanted things to go wrong like the way they did but my heart just couldn't take it anymore. I tried, for you. I wanted to keep fighting I just, couldn't. I love you more than you'll ever know. I love you more than I can express in words or objects or anything truthfully. I'll love you forever.

You completed the challenge baby! You lived a day without me, now do that every day. I know it'll be hard but you're the strongest person I know.

Please promise me to do me a favor, don't let this bump in the road, hold you back from anything we had planned together in life. Keep moving forward baby, I'll be right there with you.

I love you,

Rafe

Tears flow down my face as I gently sit the letter on the table in front of me as I question, "Why him?"

It's in this very moment I wish the world would swallow me whole.

I cry for hours. I cried until no more tears would flow as I still questioned, "Why him?"

If I knew about all this would it have been harder or easier? Knowing he was going to have to go at some point. I wished I would've spent every last second with him before that fucking surgery.

I wish I would've never fallen for that "challenge" in the first place.

Living a day without him.