☼︎ It Was All A Dream ☼︎

(Author's Note: No song for this one. I'm publishing this now because I just finished Stranger Things season 3 and I can't sleep. I cried twice and teared up once. I forgot how sad the ending was. Anyways enjoy!)

"Good morning." I hear Rafe say as I open my eyes, allowing them to adjust to the morning sun shining through the window. I smile at him and move closer, if there's any room possible, to him. He runs his hands through my hair softly and I lay my head on his chest taking in the moment. "I love this." I whisper to him. "I love you." He whispers back before he kisses the top of my head.

I kiss his bare chest lightly and listen to the sound of his laughter filling the room. "What's so funny?" I ask him smiling as I sit up and lean on my elbows. "I don't know, I'm just- happy that's all." He says. I smile at his words, feeling butterflies in my stomach. "You have a way with words Rafe Cameron." He raises an eyebrow at me, "Oh do I, Miss. Y/l/n?" I laugh lightly and nod.

"Would you like something to eat kind sir?" I ask fully sitting up. "Waffles?"

He eagerly nods his head and climbs out of bed going downstairs to his family's kitchen. I open up the cabinets and grab the items I need to make waffles as Rafe sits down on one of the barstools.

I begin cooking. I pour the waffle batter into the waffle iron before closing it. I look up at him to see him smiling a genuine kind of smile at me that I've never seen before.

"What?" I ask him. He shrugs and the smile stays on his face. "What is it?" I ask again trying to get something out of him. He clears his throat, "I just love this view." He says happily. The smile returns on his face before he says, "I want this in 20 years." I raise my eyebrows at him, "20?" I exclaim. He nods his head. "I want this forever." He adds on, standing up and walking over to me.

He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into his warm embrace. I accept his hug and we hold each other for a long while before the waffle timer dings. We pull apart and I take the waffle out before putting another one in.

After the waffles are done we sit down and eat together amongst some conversation with each other.

(...)

I wake up to the sound of my alarm blaring through my room. "Good morning Rafe." I whisper before opening my eyes and realizing I have to get ready for school. I'm really excited to see him there though.

We haven't seen each other in about a month because of our busy lives recently. We'll pick back up on the same page though considering we're best friends and not much, not anything, can come between us.

I throw on an outfit consisting of a small white dress with small, light blue flowers all over it. I wore it one time when Rafe and I went to the mainland together and he actually complimented me on it saying how it looks, "really pretty on me." I smile at the thought before putting my high top, white converse shoes on and heading out the door.

I drive to school and walk inside, I'm right on time. I walk over to my locker and get my things while I wait for Rafe. I look around the halls trying to see if I can spot his tall figure anywhere through the huge, crowded hallway filled with other students.

I look down at my things still waiting when I feel a presence standing in front of me. I look up to see Rafe, his tall, broad figure towering over me. He gives me a happy, almost friendly smile. "Hey Rafe!" I say cheerfully. "Hey I wanted to introduce you to someone!" He says continuing the same cheerful tone that I had just seconds before.

I look over and see a girl. Long, flowy blonde hair and bright blue eyes, a different shade from his. She smiles and quickly embraces me in a tight hug. "Oh my god y/n! I'm so glad to finally meet you! Rafe talks about you nonstop and I know we're gonna be amazing friends." She says happily. She pulls away and I look at Rafe.

"Who's she?" I ask. He wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her closer into his side. "She's my girlfriend." He says with a bright smile on his face. Girlfriend. Girlfriend. His word echos through my mind a few times. I try not to let my face falter as I contemplate on running then and there.

Before I have the chance to say anything Rafe beats me to it, "Her name is Rachel. I'm so glad you two have finally met." He says with that same smile still on his face. I attempt to bring a small smile to my face as I stare at the two of them in front of me.

"That's amazing Rafe, I'm- really happy for you both." That's about all I can manage to get out without my voice cracking even the slightest bit. "Thanks y/n, you're the best friend ever." He says before pulling me into a hug.

Friend. I stare at the lockers in front of me not even bothering to wrap my arms around Rafe. I pull away rather quickly causing him to give me a confused look. "I better get to class." I mumble before turning to walk away. "But class doesn't start for another 8 minutes!" He calls after me but before he has a chance to say any more I'm already gone.

I go into class, claiming a seat in the back, not my usual seat. I don't bother to save a seat for Rafe considering he's probably going to sit with Rachel. The bell rings and a few minutes later students start filing into the room and taking their seats.

I look at the doorway and wait for Rafe to walk in with Rachel, he does. Look at that, 'y/n calls the shots!' I think to myself. I watch from my seat as Rafe looks around the room for me finally catching my eye. He furrows his eyebrows and sees there's already someone else sitting beside me.

I turn my gaze away from him so he'll look away as well. Gladly, it works. I turn my gaze back to him to find him sitting in his usual seat with Rachel beside him, sitting in my seat.

A single tear rolls down my cheek and I'm quick to wipe it away before looking out the window until the teacher starts class.

(...)

By the end of class my mind is racing with thoughts of Rafe. I manage to pack up my things rather quickly and walk out the door of the classroom to head to my next class without even so much as looking at Rafe. I know, I'm probably being petty and I should be happy for him, he's happy. I just can't stand back and watch him with that other girl.

"Hey, hey y/n wait up!" I hear Rafe call from behind me followed by footsteps getting closer and closer while I try to walk faster and faster to our next class.

Rafe beats me to it. "What's wrong?" He asks, tugging me by the shoulder to get me to stop. "Nothing." I lie.

"Come on y/n. Quit messing around, I know when somethings up." He says giving me a look for me to tell him what's really going on. "I have to get to class." I sigh turning around.

"Can we please talk after?" He says following me into the room. "Yes." I roll my eyes and sit in a seat away from him even though Rachel isn't in this class with us. His eyebrows knit together in confusion and I just look away as someone takes the only seat next to me.

I try to get through class without thinking about Rafe. I don't want to talk to him and I don't know why I agreed to.

The bell rings, pulling me out of my thoughts and I quickly pack up my stuff and follow Rafe out of the room to an empty classroom. He shuts the door behind us and we both get situated on desks before talking.

"So what's wrong with you?" He asks yet again. I sigh and roll my eyes already dreading this conversation. "Like I told you, nothing. Do you want me to spell it out for you?" I ask standing up to walk out of the room. He stands up quickly and grabs my wrist, preventing me from moving.

"Can you not lie to me, please?" He says loosening his grip. "I'm not lying Rafe."

"You are. Did I do something wrong?" He questions, a look of guilt washing over his face. "It wouldn't matter to you anyways, there's nothing I can change." I say pulling my wrist from his grasp and looking away from him.

His fingers inch under my chin turning my face to look at him. "What wouldn't matter to me?" He asks, his tone stern. "I love you. There, I said it. Are you happy? God Rafe, I've loved you since the day I met you in the sixth fucking grade,"

"Y/n I-"

"And you didn't even notice." I say as tears waiting to fall brim my eyes. He looks stunned as he stares at me like a deer staring at headlights.

I push past him making sure to roughly bump into him on my way to the door. I leave the room and leave him standing there.

Confused.