Imbolc

Imbolc is the beginning of spring, celebrated on February 1st - 2nd. Imbolc , also called Saint Brigid's Day , is a traditional festival. It marks the beginning of , and for Christians it is the of , Ireland's patroness saint. It is held on 1 February, which is about halfway between the and the . Historically, its traditions were widely observed throughout , and the . It is one of Gaelic seasonal festivals, along with Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain.

History of Imbolc

The original pre-Christian festival of Imbolc is mentioned in several , but they say very little about its original rites and customs. Imbolc was treated as one of four seasonal festivals in along with Beltane, Lughnasadh and Samhain. The tale , which survives in a 10th-century version, names Imbolc as one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals. From the 18th century to the mid 20th century, many accounts of St Brigid were recorded by folklorists and other writers. They tell us how it was celebrated then, and shed light on how it may have been celebrated in the past. It has also been argued that originally the timing of the festival was more fluid and based on seasonal changes. It is associated with the onset of the lambing season (which could vary by as much as two weeks before or after 1 February), the beginning of preparations for the spring , and the blooming of . In Ireland, a was also customary around the time of St Brigid's Day. were visited, as they were during some of the other Gaelic festivals. Visitors to holy wells would pray for health while walking '' around the well. They would then leave offerings, typically coins or (see ). Water from the well was used to bless the home, family members, livestock, and fields.

Donald Alexander Mackenzie also recorded in the 19th century that offerings were made "to earth and sea". The offering could be milk poured into the ground or porridge poured into the water, as a libation.

Activities

Light a candle

Spring clean your home

Decorate your altar

Plan you planting for the upcoming year and sow some plants (if ready)

February 1st is also Brigid's day, the Celtic Goddess of, among other things, poetry. Read a poem to yourself to (or to Brigid, if the mood takes you).

Eat something creamy or cheesy (like we need any excuse). The word imbolc comes from 'ewe's milk' so you might like to enjoy a fondue, cream with your pudding or a simple milky drink at bedtime. If you're not a dairy eater, you could prepare something like a curry, to celebrate the warming of the earth, with lots of fragrant spices.

At sunset, put the lights on in every room in the house to welcome back the sun.

Correspondences

Altar ideas

Altar ideas

Disclaimer!!!

Disclaimer!!!

These pictures aren't mine, their @/witchytips on instagram!