Litha

Litha (also known as Midsummer) occurs on the summer solstice, and celebrates the beginning of summer (June 19-24th). The traditions of Litha appear to be borrowed from many cultures. Most ancient cultures celebrated the summer solstice in some way. Even in the modern times people still celebrate it, Litha is one of the most know Sabbats. By the christians it's called St. John's day.

History

There is some debate regarding the origins of Litha. There is however evidence to support the practice of a ritual in many cultures. The Celtics held bonfires on high hilltops to celebrate the distance between the earth and the Sun(since it is at its highest point). They would gather around these fires and sing and dance. The Celts also used this time to recognize the Goddess Aine, the goddess of love, summer, sovereignty, and fertility. The Romans used this time to celebrate Juno – the wife of Jupiter. She was recognized as the goddess of women, childbirth, and fertility. Vesta was also worshiped popularly at this time, being as she was the goddess of hearth, home, and family. The Early Europeans took a more symbolic approach to their rituals. They set alight large wheels and rolled them downhill. At the bottom of the hill, the wheel would roll into a body of water.

The Fae

It is said that on Litha night the fae come out to play tricks on humans. Litha to them means a battle of dark and light and some of them seem to feel a bit more mischievous as a result. Folklore says that they've even dragged a human or two into their world on Litha night. So if you work with the fae, be sure to work safely and protect yourself.

Correspondences

This ones a bit short sorry!

Blessed be )O(