chapter 15: Crescendo

Wow, is she actually alive? Yes, yes I am. Sorry again that these updates are taking so long. Work, my sister's grad school graduation, my own twentieth birthday, and other such event have been taking up my days and when I've had free time I've been too tired to write. Hopefully, that'll get a bit better, we'll have to see what the summer holds. However I will say that this chapter was surprisingly hard to write, because although I've been so looking forward to writing this chapter I had both too many and too few ideas and no idea how to work with them. So I apologize if that reflects in the writing. So I present to you the chapter I had desperately wanted to have posted on April first. Trigger warnings for this chapter are as followed: General senses of anxiety, disrespect of service animals, discussions on phobias, misunderstandings, mentions of a struggling relationship and it's affect on their children, and self deprecation. As always take care of yourself and thank you for reading!

~~~

"Virgil, go answer your boyfriend's phone call!" Remy called from the bathroom.

"None of them are my boyfriend's and I'm a bit caught up at the moment!" Virgil called back frustratedly.

Virgil sighed as the sound of windchimes continued to ring out of his phone's speakers from somewhere across the room in his bed. Meanwhile he was stuck sitting on the floor, blindly struggling to work his foot out of the hole in his ripped jeans, which he'd accidentally stepped through while trying to get dressed, without tearing the fabric further. Eventually he managed to successfully pull his heel free and force his foot down the correct path. He used his desk as leverage to get back onto his feet, attempting to simultaneously shimmy his skinny jeans up into place and tuck his quarter sleeved shirt into the waistband. Having at least mostly finished getting dressed he ventured over towards his bed in search of the now silent phone. After a moment of patting down the sheets he found it resting against his pillows. Virgil clicked on his phone and slid his finger across the screen in the familiar motion to unlock the phone.

"Call contact Logan," Virgil ordered.

The phone began to ring as he pressed it up to his ear, shuffling down the length of the room towards his desk. He sat down in the chair to begin the process of putting on his socks in an attempt to multitask.

"Greetings Virgil. I was worried you may have already switched off your phone before departing to your class. It seems that concern of mine was unnecessary after all," the familiar formal voice stated from the other end of the line.

"Yeah, you caught us just in time. Sorry I missed your first call, I had a wee bit of a wardrobe malfunction I had to deal with first," Virgil chuckled wryly.

"Wardrobe malfunction? Your clothing lacks technological or mechanical components, it should not be able to experience a malfunction," Logan argued.

"Heh, well ask Princey about that one, 'cus I'm sure he'll agree with me that it sure as hell can," Virgil smirked.

"Things said by Roman aren't always to be taken as fact" Logan countered. "I have an entire notebook filled with idiotic quotes that he has stated towards me with full confidence. I can give you some examples if you wish I have it right beside me."

"Logan focus," Virgil cut in, snapping his fingers near the microphone. "As much as I'm all for making fun of Princey, I am gonna need to be leaving in a few minutes. Why did you call? Something going on?"

"Ah, my apologies, it would seem I momentarily lost sight of my intentions. I intended to ask if I might pick you up after your class so you might accompany me to a musical performance by our school orchestra?" Logan requested.

"Me? Wouldn't your first choice for company be Ro?" Virgil questioned, vaguely stunned by Logan's request.

"Roman's interests lie more towards the vocal and theatrical end of the performance art spectrum," Logan stated with an almost wistful fondness in his tone before he seemed to pause hesitantly, quietly clearing his throat with an uncharacteristic nervousness. "That and it wouldn't necessarily be a lie to say that I was looking for an excuse to spend some solitary time with you. I find you to be a fairly calming and grounded individual when your anxiety isn't in a particularly heightened state. I find it rather refreshing and I genuinely enjoy your company, you provide a pleasant balance to our group that is greatly appreciated by myself at least."