Chapter 25

"Why were you spotted with Potter and his friends again?" Lucius asks Ursa.

     "I swear I cannot do anything without you finding out." Ursa groans.

     "I told you to stop talking to them."

     "I only talk to them about school." Lucius stands and walks over to Ursa.

     "You should not be talking to them at all, child! What is the matter with you?" Lucius draws his wand threateningly.

     "Get away from me!"

     "You need to behave!"

     "What's going on?" Narcissa asks as she walks into the sitting room.

     "I just wanted you to be my father." Ursa says. "A father that actually loves me no matter what! A father that is nothing like you!"

     "You think I wanted a daughter like you?" Lucius exclaims. "I never wanted you in the first place!"

     "Father!" Ursa exclaims.

     "Lucius!" Narcissa exclaims at the same times as Ursa. "Come here Ursa." Narcissa says as she wraps an arm around Ursa. She shoots a glare at Lucius before leading Ursa out of the room. They walk in silence up to Ursa's room. Ursa sits on her bed and leans against the headboard. She pulls her knees to her chest as tears fall. "You know he did not mean that." Narcissa says quietly as she sits next to Ursa. Ursa lays her head on Narcissa's shoulder. "He is just lashing out."

     "I know." Ursa says. "Doesn't stop it from hurting still."

     "I know."

     "I feel like this is a good time to ask about it since I would rather talk to just you about it. Why did you really send me away? Draco said you wouldn't let him go to Durmstrang because it was too far away yet you sent me across an ocean."

     "To protect you." Narcissa says. "From your grandfather. He could not stand the fact that you were a girl. Malfoy firstborns have always been male before you."

     "Is that common knowledge?"

     "It is not, but it mattered to him. It mattered so much he tried to get Bella to give you to him so he could kill you or get rid of you when you were just hours old. I'm not sure exactly when he started hurting you. I found out soon before you turned five. I found you with a bad cut on your head. Apparently the elf would heal you before we could find you but your father needed him that morning. You had to go to St Mungos before because of him. I finally decided to send you away when St Mungos told me if I brought you to them in bad shape again, they would tell the Ministry there was abuse going on in the house. They would have taken you both from us."

     "Why don't I remember any of this?"

     "I used the Memory Charm on you before I left when I visited you a week after I sent you away. The time I was going to bring you home. I erased the pain he caused and left everything else."

     "So instead of confronting him you sent me away."

     "Ursa we did confront him. You were only supposed to be gone a week. When I went to bring you home..." Tears come to Narcissa's eyes. "You seemed so happy and I could not take that from you."

     "I was miserable!" Ursa exclaims. "I was told to act happy so you didn't feel bad."

     "I know that now. But it was too late when I realized it."

     "You had already signed the papers." Narcissa nods. "She was determined to make me into a weapon."

     "I only did it to protect you and Draco. I am so sorry I believed you and her." Narcissa tucks a piece of hair behind Ursa's ear. "You obviously do not remember this, but the day you were born, I made a promise to you. I promised I would always protect you. So I did. Even though it killed me to do it. I did what I thought was your best chance. Now I know you would have been better off here." A tears falls down Narcissa's face.  "How did you find out I sent you away for your safety? Only my aunt, my parents, your father, Abraxas and I knew that."