Chapter 3

A knock sounded on the door, vibrating deeply, which deflected Annalise from her thoughts. Annalise ceased her aimless staring and stood up and quickly brushed her hands over her flimsy nightgown and straightened her hair to make herself somewhat presentable, even in her bedraggled state, straight out of bed.

"Milady?" a soft voice whispered.

"Come in Vera," Annalise called out.

The maid dutifully entered and set up Annalise's breakfast tray, before starting to draw her bath and collecting the scents Annalise loved to be in her bath. She helped Annalise strip out of her night clothes and into the bath, focusing on her hair as they made small talk over mundane things. As Annalise got out of her heavenly bath, which she deeply regretted because she didn't want to launch her rather messy plan with lots of holes into action, she caught her maid nibbling on her lower lip, as if to contemplate her next words. Annalise threw a concerned look her way and worried if her maid was having any sort of difficulties she could help with.

"Vera, what is the matter? Did something adverse befall you or your Family? It is not like you to be so hesitant." Annalise softly questioned her maid.

Vera trembled and continued to look troubled, to which Annalise replied by gently placing her hand on top of her companion's and looking her directly into the eye.

"You and I have known each other since childhood, Vera. You can trust me with anything, and I'll try to help in any way I can."

"Mil..." Annalise threw a sharp look in Vera's direction, to which the latter drew back.

"Lise..." Vera trailed off, unsure of how to start. She then took a deep breath and resumed.

"Lise,... you know how the situation is with the people here in Inverloch don't you?" Vera didn't wait for an answer as she continued. "Things are... worse than it seems and Lord Branstein, your oncle...." Vera trailed off.

"What about him?" Annalise demanded sharply, alarmed.

"Well, it's... it's worse in the countryside than it is in Inverloch. The people, they.. They need help. And Lord Branstein, he's just realized that."

Annalise stood ramrod straight, thinking about the poor people who needed help. And if her uncle brought it to his attention...things must be dire indeed.

"My cousin-" Vera resumed with difficulty, "He wrote to me about the high tax rates and that they are barely able to keep afloat, especially now that his wife... well she just delivered and.."

Annalise covered her mouth with her hand. "Oh no.. What can we do? How can we..-"

"It's not just them." Vera interrupted, and if it was any other high-born member, she was sure to be flogged for it, but Annalise would never inflict that sort of punishment on anyone, nor would she ever reprimand someone of a lower birth, interrupt or correct her. She would be thankful that they trusted her enough for that.

"It's everyone, they're struggling. Families are barely able to keep afloat and the taxes are truly starting to hinder them. And your oncle, he's refusing to lower the rates or extend any help to the people. In fact he's highered them, because if rumor is to be believed then, Salleria's royal family and aristocracy, as well as foreign nobles and royals are set to attend the midwinter's ball in a few weeks. And if rumour has it true..."

Annalise shuddard. She did not want to meet her country's royal family...

Vera cleared her throat and shakily said.. " Lord Branstein, he, he..-" the maid swallowed before continuing. " If rumors are to be true, he.. wants to, he plans to arrange your marriage to someone wealthy and influential enough to bring gold and power to the family, so he can live in extravagance and have power for the rest of his life.

Annalise paled. She had a hunch that her soon-to-be betrothed would likely be prince Ivon, the younger brother of Salleria's king and the second-in-line for the throne. And she did not want to marry him, not now-not ever. Of course, Lord Branstein knew of her great dislike of prince Ivon, which would be more the reason to push for the match.

"I believe that he will summon you to his study soon, to discuss about the ahh coming events that are to take place. And to warn you to hold your tongue as well..."

"As Lord Branstein is in a foul mood? When is he not?" Annalise retorted, ready to go on a rampage. Vera was unable to say anything so Annalise forced herself to not speak ill of her oncle, if only so as not to scare Vera. She cleared her throat and stated in a much softer voice.

"Nevertheless, things must be extremely dire. Thank you for bringing it to my attention Vera. I really appreciate it." Annalise smiled gratefully at her friend.

Vera looked at her mistress's king eyes and breathtaking smile and was astonished at how someone so kind could ever be related to Lord Branstein. Whoever was to win her hand in marriage was sure to be a lucky man, and she prayed it would be someone worthy of her mistress and long time friend's generosity and beauty. With one last curtesy, Vera left the room.

End of chapter 3