Chapter 10

ohh Things are getting a bit more intense....... read on for more suspense!! What do you think Annalise will find? Please comment down below if you want to share your thoughts, ideas or theories!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annalise was hiding. She wanted to sneak into Lord Branstein's room while he was absent, to view some documents that held the current state and affairs of the Duchy. She was desperate to find some way to help the people, if only she could alleviate some of their burdens. In the dead of the night, she knew she was unlikely to find Lord Branstein in his study, where he stored his documents. That, and of course, she knew that he may have had something to complete, namely that he had been mysteriously called away on some unknown affairs that may or may not have been orchestrated by Annalise herself, much to her delight.

Her papa had taught her well enough to handle the day-to-day affairs to the Duchy, despite her being a woman. He was of the opinion that women should be afforded the same education as a man if she so desired. This belief was revolutionary, for it had been shunned by the rest of society, who maintained that women were weak and very much dependent on men- that their only vocation was to bear heirs and negotiate marriages for their children. That and hang as arm candies on men's arms so they could boast their lifestyle and women, all while the wife had to maintain her silence and continue smiling through the man's follies.

She hoped that she knew where she was searching; she hoped that Lord Branstein stored the papers where her beloved father had kept them, or at least somewhere similar to their original place. Annalise entered the study that had once been her fathers'. It was so different from what it used to be, she mused. While Lord Branstein made every effort to deck every corner of this house with signs and symbols of wealth and power, her father, unlike Branstein, naturally commanded it. Unlike Branstein, he did not need to show off his wealth, power and influence, rather he radiated it through his speech, his demeanour, his courteousness and thoughtful nature. Branstein had had to use vast amounts of gold and silver from the treasury to achieve the same effect, albeit to a significantly lesser degree than her father. When the study belonged to her father, there was a quiet wealth and thought applied, unlike Branstein's ostentatious show of his wealth. Her father had a quiet, minimal show of riches and a higher demonstration of productivity and kindness. This apparently slipped Branstein's mind as the study, like everything else he frequents, was more of a museum of deep pockets and cruelty than a study. She felt sorry for those furs draped over expensive, hard- laboured chairs and rugs made of wolf skin and other cruel products. Of course, they served to show off Lord Branstein's money, although why ever would he feel the need to install something as such in a study was beyond her.

She crept into the room, as silent as a cat in the night, and searched the drawers high and low, from his desk, to the cabinets until she found what she was looking for. She remembered her conversation with Branstein earlier that day. She knew he would be seeking the money for the King's visit, as he did not know how to live within his means. And that was why Annalise tried- and failed to reprimand him. Her very presence irritated him, as did his to her. She should have stayed back, tried to inject some sense into him, yet she left because she feared that his irrational thinking would further slight Goslar's already suffering economy. Well, that and the fact that she would not be able to stop laughing had she stayed any longer. Ohh, the expression on his face.... That was every bit worth the show. Annalise couldn't help it, she just suddenly became a different person around Lord Branstein. It was like someone turned a switch on in her brain, specifically designed to annoy Lord Branstein and well, she just couldn't give up any chance at making a slight at him. Over the years he had complained to many of his peers about her treatment of him over a glass of beer or dozen, though stopped when no one had yet to believe him. To others, Annalise was simply a sweet-tempered, well- spoken and mannered, witty and beautiful young girl whose charms could certainly fetch a high price if she was in the fishing pond at the right time and place. No, no one would ever think of Annalise as stubborn or irritating, she was only that way toward Lord Branstein. And perhaps, a few others whom she'd had the displeasure to encounter.

Annalise's eyes scanned the documents. It contained the steady rise of a fairly reasonable tax rate to - BY THE LORD!! No, she couldn't have read it right. She reread it again. And again. And again. Until she could somehow believe that her eyes were not at fault. This.. this new tax rate... it was.. Unreasonable!! The people of Goslar.. They barely earned enough of their income to even pay this amount! Annalise's eyes watered as she placed her hand on her wide open mouth. No.. how could her uncle ever think of being so.. Cruel! She knew he could be rash and mean, but this was a new level of cruelty. The people could barely earn enough to keep their mouths fed during the current economic recession, but this high a tax... no, how could they ever pay it!? She had to do something...

No wonder Vera's family could barely manage to stay afloat. No, it was a wonder how families were even surviving with such high fees, especially those with babies or on the way. She would have to do something to help.. But what!? She knew Lord Branstein would refuse her plea if she took it to him; No, he'd argue that women were too emotional and that running the Duchy should be left to men. He'd never listen to her, solely due to his prejudice, the society's prejudice and perception of women. That and of course his greed and hunger for power and influence would likely influence his rash and irresponsible thinking and behaviour.

She could not let this go on. She had...had to ....Had to do something!!!

But the question was not what, but how, because a patriarchal society would never let a woman make and approve of decisions that they deem are the right of man. That should have been a man's to make.

Annalise decided then, that she would help the people, restore their beloved, famed Duchy's glory....no matter the cost. Even if she'd had to marry a despicable prince to secure it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do we think Annalise would do? What are our thoughts about her? What do you think is going to happen next? 

As always, thank you for reading this chapter!

Comment down below!