Chapter 13

Do you guys have any theories? Let me know! Also, this may be a partial answer to the cliffhanger I left in one of the earlier chapters. We're seeing Annalise back after such a long time,  I wonder what she discovers! And most importantly, what will she do about it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annalise was in shock.

After gathering enough wits to leave Lord branstein's study, she moved down the hallway silently, like a skittish cat waiting to be preyed upon, unknowing of its game with predators. She was jumpy and frightened, which only increased when she paused to listen to, no overheard

Certain classified information.

This only made her even more shaken than the earlier revelations, that she had copied into a sheet of paper, so she could have some evidence needed to .. if she could even.. Stop him in his warpath. His ridiculous reasoning was what brought them into such dire circumstances. Perhaps this document could be used to overthrow him, and keep herself in power, although she was loath to go to that extent, even if she greatly disliked the said man responsible.

But even if she had gotten rid of him, would she be able to rule the Duchy?

This was not a question of her capabilities, for she was extremely capable and intelligent when it came to managing her Duchy's affairs. Her father had taught her as a young girl to become an honest, righteous leader, and someone whom the people could look toward to lead them. Of course, this may have been in those long years between, when there was no direct male heir- before her brother was born. Yet, even after his birth her father knew she enjoyed those lessons, and he encouraged her in her more scholarly pursuits.

No, this was more of a question of her sex. The council would argue that she was a woman, thus not suitable to decide anything much beyond what to wear for the latest ball. Their prejudiced views would come in between whatever she would have hoped to achieve with Branstein out of the picture. They'd only saddle her with the promise of marriage to someone equally incompetent, materialistic and uncaring as Branstein, if not worse.

She could try making Goslar an independent governing nation. Yes, that would most likely be the best option. No king to abide, no ancient, stupid laws to keep in check. She was certain she could manage all the affairs of Goslar and keep the people happy.

But the crown council would see it as treason and launch an attack on her duchy. With such an economically dire state, her Duchy was ill equipped to fight a war. It would only lead them into debt and more misery for her people. No, she couldn't do that to them.

Which left.... No, she'd sworn to avoid this for as long as possible. But it would be the only option left for her... the only option that ended in her peacefully ruling Goslar. Well, at least having partial control over her estate.

She would have to marry. It was the only way they could legally recognise Goslar as being ruled by a woman.

If a man was there to control her every move.

She would have to find a man, who was not prejudiced, yet ignorant enough to let her rule. She would have to find a man, who was willing to concede to a woman. A man oblivious enough to not question her, and be content to drink and do whatever else other men do without interfering with her and her duchy's affairs. Yet, and she hated this criteria, but he had to be rich enough to finance her duchy's economy to a large extent and influential enough to sway several nobles with her latest plan for trade, or anything else.

She sighed. It seemed unlikely that any man would ever allow a woman that level of freedom, of autonomy.

Ideally she would have wished for someone with whom she shared a deep connection with. Of someone who would acknowledge her ideas and opinions, and never be afraid to challenge her. Of someone who was firm in character and in his love for her. Of someone intelligent, humourous, loyal and honourable to a fault. Unwavering in his pursuit, compassionate toward the poor. He'd always be willing to give, to donate anything, whether it be his wealth or his love. Someone willing to look beyond society's prejudices and practices, someone who was wise enough to choose his battles and win them. Someone with whom she could share anything with, or remain in content silence. Someone who understood her on the deepest level and shared her beliefs. Someone who would allow her autonomy and not be embarrassed to openly allow her to rule.

And she would promise him everything she'd asked of him and more. Because a marriage meant sharing your life and love with someone and she refused to be with anyone who did not allow her agency.Which was almost every high-born man she'd ever had the displeasure of meeting. With him, she would be respected and trusted, and in turn, respect and trust him. There would be genuine affection between them, even love if possible. She wanted a marriage like her parent's. One of understanding, affection,compassion.

But no one in the high born circles ever treated a woman that way. They'd treat her as they'd treat their treasured possessions, to be used, gained and discarded when it was no longer beneficial.

She knew her decision now. Even if it meant a lifetime of misery for her, she would do it, because it would help her people, who relied on her so heavily. They had always supported her freely, even after the death of her parents and brother, after her uncle became her guardian, even after she'd stopped visiting them often. They trusted her, and she would do anything to deliver on that promise.

She looked up at the sky. It was time to craft her plan.

End of Chapter 13

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're back to school today, and I'm seeing my friends after such a long time! Frankly, I feel like I need another holiday from my holiday! There have been so many  greetings, and parties, and cake! 

Anyway, as always thank you for reading, and be sure to comment down below on your thoughts, opinions and theories. I love to hear them!