03: Date Night

April 5th, 1987

NYLA HARRIS was standing in front of her mirror as she curled her hair, when she heard the phone ring

NYLA HARRIS was standing in front of her mirror as she curled her hair, when she heard the phone ring. She put her curling iron down and walked over to her nightstand, before picking up the phone.

"Hi, who's calling?" Nyla asked.

"Who's calling? Why you sounding all white and shit, ma?" Eric's voice came through the phone.

"E? Is that you? How did you get my number?" Nyla questioned.

"Don't worry about all that, baby. Just know that I got my ways." Eric responded.

"Well, what do you want?" Nyla asked.

"I'm on my way to take you to school. Be ready." Eric told her.

"What? Why?" Nyla queried.

"Look, do you want a ride or you want to take that hot ass bus?" Eric inquired.

"I want a ride." Nyla admitted.

"Exactly. See you soon, Babygirl." Eric replied, before hanging up.

Nyla rolled her eyes before putting the phone back on the hook and walking away. She picked up her curling iron and continued to curl her hair. After she was done, she applied some lipgloss and looked at herself in the mirror one last time.

Ding!

Dong!

"Damn, that was quick." Nyla uttered to herself, before grabbing her backpack.

Nyla walked out the bedroom and ran over to the front door, before opening it. There was Cube, standing there, with a smile on his face.

She, then, remembered that he always walked with her to the bus.

"Oh, hey, Cube." Nyla greeted. "What's up, ma? You look good." Cube replied. "Thanks, but, uh, I actually have a ride to school today." Nyla said. "Oh, for real? Who? Your friend, Lisa?" Cube queried. "Um, no, it's not Lisa."Nyla answered.

Vroom

Vroom

As if on cue, Eric Wright pulled up in his 6-4 impala and parked in her driveway. Cube and Nyla both looked back at Eric in the car, before looking back at each other. Cube scoffed, before chuckling.