05: The Studio

July 12th, 1988

*

NYLA HARRIS was at the studio with Eric and the rest of the crew. They were about to record their first album and everyone was hyped up. She was just there for support, as always and she enjoyed being around all of them.

"So, look, this ain't Lonzo's shit. This the real deal, aight? So your shit better be dope. Who up?" Dre asked. "Ren up!" Eric shouted. "Get em, Ren." Nyla encouraged. "Get that shit, Ren." Cube motivated, patting Lorenzo on the back.

"I got this." Ren stated, as he walked towards the booth.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's see it." Dre remarked, as he watched Ren walk into the booth.

"Nyla, do you wanna learn something new?" Eric asked. "What?" Nyla queried. "I want to see if Dre can teach you how to mix and produce." Eric said, catching everyone's attention. "Wait, what?" Cube and Dre blurted out, in union.

"Why you want her to learn that?" Dre asked. "Well, she be with us all the time. She might as well learn something to help contribute." Eric answered. "I mean, I agree. I should help." Nyla remarked. "See! She's down, so teach her." Eric ordered.

"Man. This ain't no fucking training session. It's a recording session, nigga." Dre stated. "So just teach her the basics, Dre. She'll catch on." Eric voiced. "I won't slow you down." Nyla assured. "Come on, Ny, Damn. Pull up a chair." Dre demanded.

Nyla stood up from the couch and rolled over to the soundboard with a rolling chair, before sitting down beside Dre and Yella.

"Hey, Yella! Play that shit!" Dre ordered.

Yella pressed a button on the soundboard, causing the beat to start playing and Mc Ren began rapping his verse in the booth.

"Okay look, I'ma be going kind of fast so pay close attention. This shit ain't easy." Dre said.

"I got you." Nyla remarked.

*

"Hell yeah, Nyla!" Dre shouted.

"Oh, shit." Cube uttered, shocked.

"There you go, babygirl." Eric encouraged.

"Yeah, girl!" Yella remarked.

"You feel that shit, right?" Dre asked, making her nod her head.

"Now, switch the tempo out and add some harmonies." Dre ordered.