the heart thief - |10|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

           Isaac arrived first thing in the morning to pick me up. He barely gave me enough time to sleep before pounding on my door at six a.m, claiming he needed us to practice before the game at eight, which made me wonder why we had to play so early. Brent was apparently a busy guy who could only fit us in in the morning.

           I texted Roman and asked if he was going to come watch the game despite his previous statement. The text was delivered, but I received no response. Still, it didn't bother me because he had warned me that he wouldn't be there. It was a long shot anyway.

           Brent had graciously rented out the tennis court for the morning, so we had the entire court to ourselves without having to worry about anything else. It was my first time on a tennis court, and I was very excited. Isaac sensed my excitement and was so quick to crush it that he threatened to throw me into the sea if we didn't beat Brent. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but it made me laugh.

           The vibrant green of the tennis court's surface stood out against the lush, verdant surroundings. The court was enclosed by a tall fence, creating a sense of privacy and seclusion from the outside world. Two sturdy posts rise from the court's surface at either end, supporting a net that stretches tautly across the middle of the court. Surrounding the court, comfortable seating arrangements were available. On the other side, several lounge chairs were arranged under a shady awning, offering a comfortable respite from the sun's rays.

          Isaac drew me into a four-walled squash tennis court because my skills needed to be improved. Over an hour, he showed me how to hold the racket, perfected my position, and even though squash is a sport that relaxes you, Isaac was putting so much pressure on me that I was beginning to regret it. My arms had gone limp by the time I collapsed on the ground, and I could feel a few balls digging their way into my sides. I could barely move as he collapsed beside me, breathing in and out.

           Breathlessly, I asked, "Tell me why you're dying to win against Brent. He's a pro tennis player. We are not winning against him."

          Isaac broke into laughter, his shoulders shaking from the rumble. "I know," he said, leaning back to stare at the ceiling. "But it won't hurt to try." He tilted his head to the side to look at me. "Alright." He sighed, staring off into space. "It was five years ago when I met Brent in the Australian Open. I went to support a friend, but the truth is, I was a massive fan of his."

           "I'm shocked right now."

           He laughed again. "Yeah, after the match was over, I went to introduce myself....asked for a friendly match, but do you know what the fucker said?"

           "He didn't yes."

           "Right?" He kicked the air with his feet, obviously still wounded about it. "So after he turned me down, I realized that I wasn't going to let it go."

           "I would be shocked if you did." 

           Isaac paused, looked at me, and flicked me in the face. "Shut up. Do you know how upsetting it is to meet your idol and have your heart crushed because he turned out to be a dick?"

           I sat up to cross my legs. "He didn't know you, and he is a professional. Why would he waste his time with you?"

          "Why are you defending him?" He gasped, hands resting on his chest. "Don't tell me he got to you, Mills!" He grabbed my shoulders and shook me, his face directly in mine. "Don't fall for him. It's too soon. Wake up!"