the heart thief - |16|

Millie

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

As I sat in the rigid hospital chair, my heart pounded with fear and anxiety. The minutes felt like hours as I awaited any news about his condition. Isaac tried to offer me some comfort by placing a consoling hand on mine, while Brent brought us drinks.

The air in the room felt heavy with dread until the doctor finally emerged. I jumped up, desperate for an update on his health. The doctor's serious expression made my heart sink further, but he then managed a small smile as he informed me that Roman was now stable. However, he would still need to stay in the hospital overnight for observation.

A wave of relief washed over me, and I slumped back into the chair.

"I told you everything would be alright," Isaac murmured in a soothing voice.

We were finally permitted to see him, and I rushed into his room. My heart was heavy as I saw him lying there, connected to machines, and looking so weak. I took his hand, and though he felt fragile, I could still sense a sliver of warmth and vitality. I held onto his hand tightly, willing him to wake up.

The minutes dragged on as I sat there, my heart pounding with worry. Seeing him struggle for breath had been one of the most frightening experiences of my life. I couldn't help but feel a mixture of emotions. Relief that he was going to be okay, but also frustration and anger towards him for being so reckless.

"He's lucky to be alive," I said. "He knows he's allergic to soy, yet he still ate the Tofu. It's just irresponsible."

Isaac let out a sigh. "I know, but what can we do? He's a grown man and he made a stupid decision. We can't control his actions."

Brent spoke up, looking remorseful. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was allergic and I goaded him to eat it."

"It's not your fault," Isaac tossed back. "He's a grown-ass man. He shouldn't need you or anyone to tell him not to eat anything that endangers his life."

I couldn't fathom why he would knowingly consume something that could harm him. "It doesn't matter whose fault it was," I said firmly, wanting to stop any further blame or guilt-tripping. "What matters now is that he's okay."

The room was quiet, the machines that monitored his vitals hummed softly in the background. The only other sound came from the gentle beeping of the heart monitor. The light from the hallway trickled in through the partially closed door, casting a dim glow over the room. Isaac and Brent had left me alone with Roman after I had dismissed them. I couldn't bear to have anyone else there, making small talk, or trying to fill the silence. This vigil was mine to keep.

I sat in the chair next to Roman's bed, watching his chest rise and fall with each breath. The fear I had felt when I first saw him gasping for breath had given way to a sense of relief when the doctor assured me that he was out of danger. But still, I couldn't shake off the unease that lingered in the back of my mind.

As the night wore on, I found myself whispering words to him, urging him to wake up, and hoping that he could hear me even in his sleep. Hours ticked by slowly, and I found myself nodding off in the chair, my head nodding down as I struggled to stay awake.

The first light of dawn seeped through the curtains, and I felt a sudden shift in the air. I opened my eyes to find Roman staring back at me, his dark eyes intense and unwavering. For a moment, I was lost in those eyes, feeling as if I could drown in them. I sat up straight, my heart racing with a mixture of surprise and delight. Finally, he was awake.