France: Cinderella [Final]

And the clock tower struck midnight.

—————

[Name] pulled away and stood up frantically.

"It's midnight," she said nervously.

Francis looked out toward the clock tower quizzically. "Yes, so it is. But--"

"Goodbye!"

"Wait!"

Francis tried to stop [Name], tried to ask her questions. "You can't go, it's only--"

"I must, please! I must," she tried to explain, but the words were fumbling out.

"But why?"

"I-I, well--"

CHIME!

[Name] looked over again at the clock tower before picking up her dress and began making a frantic exit.

"Goodbye!"

She bolted up the small set of stairs that led into the ballroom and weaved through the crowd, ignoring the prince's pleas.

"Wait, please!" he cried out. "I don't even know your name, how will I find you?"

[Name] couldn't hear him through the loud chatter of the ballroom. Another voice called out to her, this time older.

"Wait, young lady! I say, you mustn't go!"

CHIME!

[Name] continued running back to the carriage, making her way down the stairs to the paved streets. She could see the carriage and tried to run faster. As she did, one of her glass heels slipped off of her foot, nearly tripping her. She tried to reach for it but abandoned it when she heard voices yelling for her to stop.

CHIME!

Jaq was ushering her into the carriage as fast as he could, taking off as soon as [Name] closed the carriage door behind her.

"Guards! Guards!" a voice called out, "close the gates, stop the coach!"

Jaq yelled out to the horses and barely made it through the grand gates. As quickly as they made it through, the gates opened again. This time, guards dawned in the royal colors chased after the carriage.

CHIME!

[Name]'s hair had fallen down, and the silver dress began reverting back to its original torn state. The carriage was turning orange and vines began sprouting.

CHIME!

The horses had reverted back to mice, and Bruno was once again a dog. Jaq helped [Name] out of the carriage, and they all made a getaway to the shrubs and hit.

CHIME!

Not seconds later, the guards had trambled the pumpkin. Jaq and [Name] stayed quiet for a moment more, making sure the guards had left. When they were sure the guards were gone, they breathed a sigh of relief.

"I... I'm sorry," [Name] softly apologized, "I guess I forgot about everything."

Jaq shook his head. "Don't fret. I'm sure it was wonderful."

"Oh, it was. He was so handsome and kind, and when we danced--" [Name] stopped and sighed, "oh, well. It's over, now..."

As [Name] stood up to make her way back to the estate, Jaq's eyes widened when he looked down.

"[Name]! Your heel!"

She looked down and gasped; one glass heel had indeed remained on her shoe. She had hardly noticed it hadn't disappeared with all the chaos. She took the shoe in her hands and looked up at the night sky.