North Italy: Sleeping Beauty [1]

In a faraway land, long ago, lived a king and his fair queen. Many years had they longed for a child, and finally, they're wish was granted. A daughter was born; they called her [Name], for she filled their lives with sunshine.

Then, a great holiday was proclaimed throughout the kingdom so that all of high or low estate might pay homage to the infant princess.

And our story begins on that most joyful day...

People far and wide came together with great joy; colors and noise filled the usually quaint Kingdom of Verona. Aristocrats began making their way towards the palace, gathering within its walls.

On this day did all of the kingdoms celebrate this long-awaited royal birth; King Stefan and Queen Leah made welcome to their lifelong friend.

The royal fanfare sang through the room. "Their royal highnesses, Emperor Rome, and his sons, Prince Lovino, and Prince Feliciano!"

The emperor and his two sons stepped forth to the monarchs, King Stefan opening his arms in welcoming warmth, Emperor Rome accepting. These two had longed for their kingdoms to one day unite, thus today they would announce Emperor Rome's youngest son, Prince Feliciano, was to be betrothed to Princess [Name].

The young prince, no older than two, gazed down at the princess in her cradle through his father's arms in curiosity, when suddenly the horns sounded again and a booming voice echoed sharply through the room.

"The most honored and exalted excellencies, the three god fairies! Mistress Flora, Mistress Fauna, and Mistress Merryweather!"

One by one, a red fairy, a green fairy, and a blue fairy, flew down toward the king and queen. Making their way towards the cradle, they cooed at the beaming baby before greeting the monarchs with a curtsy.

"Your majesties," greeted Mistress Flora, "each of us the child may bless with a single gift. No more, no less."

Mistress Flora stepped forward, waving her wand and watching fondly as the baby squealed and smiled.

"Princess [Name], my gift shall be the gift of beauty," she said gently, waving her wand higher as it seemed to shine, "one gift, beauty rare, full of sunshine in her hair, lips that shame the red rose, she'll walk with springtime wherever she goes."

Mistress Fauna stepped forth, smiling at the small monarch. "Little Princess, my gift will be the gift of song. One gift, the gift of song, melody her whole life long, the nightingale's her troubadour, bringing her sweet serenade to her door."

Fauna stepped back gracefully, allowing the third and final fairy to step forward. Raising her wand in the air, "Princess, my gift to you is—"

Howling winds burst open the doors, and along with the gust of wind was a peal of laughter all too familiar to the Kingdom of Verona. Thunder crackled outside as the wind swirled to a center of bright green light, growing brighter and larger as the wind blew faster. The winds came to a halt as the light then materialized into the shape of a person, no, a monster.

The two princes clung to their father as the queen rushed to her baby holding her close as the monster had finally made her full appearance. Long, torn and tattered black clothing with a pair of horns that curled at an upwards angle, resembling that of a dragon's.

You could have heard a pin drop.

"Maleficent!" spat Mistress Flora.

"What does she want?" asked Mistress Fauna.

The fairies were quickly silenced as Maleficent spoke over them.

"Quite the glittering assemblage, King Stefan!" noted Maleficent, "Royalty, nobility, the gentry, and, oh! How quaint, even the rebel."

Maleficent leered down at Merryweather, the other two fairies having to hold her back as Maleficent walked past them.

"I feel really quite distressed about not being invited, King Stefan."

Mistress Merryweather huffed. "You were not wanted!"

The dark sorceress seemed to feign surprise. "Not wanted? Oh dear, what an awkward situation... I had hoped it was merely due to some oversight. Well, in that event, I'd best be on my way."

"And you aren't... offended, Maleficent?" inquired the queen, still clutching her baby tight. The king grasped her shoulder, shaking his head as if to discourage her from speaking to the sorceress.

However, it had heard and chuckled. "Why, no, your majesty. And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, will bestow a gift to the child."

Maleficent then waved her arms outward, letting her cloak fly outward, resembling that of a crow. "Listen well, all of you! The princess shall very well grow into a beautiful girl, beloved by all who adore her... but, before the sun sets on her eighteenth birthday, she shall prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel... and die!"

"No!" wailed the queen.

"Guards!" cried the king, "seize that creature at once!"

The monster merely laughed as the guards swarmed around her, as she then went up in green flames, swirling and swirling, before she was gone.

The queen, distressed, sat on her thrown while cradling her baby, almost crying.

"Please!" cried Merryweather, "please do not despair! There is still my gift to give!"

"Can your gift save the young princess? Can it rid of Maleficent's curse?" asked Emperor Rome, his two sons comedically still clinging to him with distance stares.

Merryweather sighed. "Not entirely, my magic isn't as strong as hers..."

King Stefan looked at the three fairies despairingly, then at his daughter.

"But it can help," said the fairy, a determined look on her face. "Sweet Princess, if through this wicked witch's curse, a spindle should prick your finger, a ray of hope there still may be in this, the gift I give to thee. Not in death, but just in sleep the fateful prophecy you'll keep, and from this slumber, you shall wake when true love's kiss the spell shall break. For true love conquers all."

Despite the assurance of the three god fairies, the king still feared for his daughter's life. He ordered every spinning wheel in the kingdom be burned. And with a heavy heart, he ordered his daughter to live far, far away from the palace deep in the woods, with the fairies as her guardians, so that perhaps Maleficent's words prove false.

For nearly eighteen years, the princess lived obliviously in her little cottage in the woods. As her birthday drew near, the kingdom rejoiced, for everyone knew that as long as Maleficent's domain, the Forbidden Mountains, thundered with her wrath and frustration, her evil prophecy had not yet been fulfilled.

[End of Part 1]

[Not a lot of 'fanfic' in this chapter, but we'll get there I promise. These chapters I'm going to try to put a lot of care into so these'll either take a very long time or be out quickly and end up being edited a lot. The art above is mine! :)]