Prussia: Robin Hood [Final]

Trigger warning! Mentions/threats of execution by hanging.

—————

The room fell silent as the advisor stood slowly from his spot on the floor. He bowed to His Majesty curtly, "no, Sire. I'll see to it immediately."

—————

A thick fog hung over Nottingham's gallows. The air was suffocating, the only thing to be heard was the creaks of metal and wood. Two henchmen readied the hangman's post for the hanging at dawn. The sheriff, located beside the two henchmen, prepared the rope.

"Well, Trigger, everything's all rigged up and all set," the sheriff declared, doing his final check of the rope.

"Yep, it's one of the prettiest scaffolds the sheriff's ever done built," the henchman, Trigger, hummed.

The other henchman, dressed in an oversized hood, stood by the scaffold trap door, "oh, Sheriff? Don't you reckon we give the trap door a test?"

Without much warning, the henchman pulled the trigger to the trap door, sending the sheriff falling through. A loud thump was heard as the sheriff plopped down beneath the scaffold. He huffed and puffed as he pulled his way back out of the trap door.

"Crimenently, now I know why your momma called ya Nutsy!" the sheriff groaned, rubbing his backside.

As the commotion settled, a familiar, blind, hooded elderly man had wandered into the gallows from behind the stone walls. He tapped his cane and begged anyone who should see him with an empty mug. The sheriff recognized this elderly man as the one he'd stolen money from not too long ago. The elderly man stopped as his cane touched the gallows, and he held his hand to his ear.

"Do me ol' ears hear the melodic voice of the sheriff?" the elderly man asked.

The sheriff perked up and chuckled proudly. "That's right, old man."

"What be goin' on here?" asked the old man, tapping his cane on the upper part of the scaffold.

The sheriff groaned as he reached down to put the trap door back into place. "We're gonna hang Friar Tuck."

The elderly man looked shocked at this news, but regained composure and feigned a slight confusion. Nutsy agreed vehemently, bouncing up and down on his heels.

"That's right! At dawn," said Nutsy in a matter-of-fact tone, "it may even be a double hangin'!"

Trigger smacked the back of Nutsy's head and whispered something the elderly man couldn't hear.

"A double hangin', eh?.. who'll be the other who gets the rope?" the old man pondered to himself, and Nutsy was ready to fire away answers, though Trigger quickly shut his mouth and turned a sly eye upon the old man.

"Sheriff, he's gettin' too all-fired nosey," Trigger said while clutching his crossbow.

"Oh, I didn't mean nothin'," the old man assured the henchman, "but, ehm, couldn't there be trouble if Robin Hood shows up?"

Nutsy chuckled, "lookit that, Sheriff! He guessed it!"

The old man continued, "oh, but the sheriff be too crafty, too clever, and too smart for the likes of him, I say."

The sheriff smiled, puffing his chest out proudly. "You see that, Trigger? For a blind man, he sure knows a good man when he... um... hears one!"

Trigger refused to let up his suspicion of the old man, however. He'd jumped off the scaffolds and put himself between the old man and the scaffolds. The sheriff rolled his eyes and waved off the anxious henchman.