40

XiChen had not meant to sound so...cruel, and given his Uncle's side eye he knew that he was being a little bit too harsh, but really he was getting tired of them trying to rip his little brother and his brother's intended apart for no reason whatsoever. The only reason that they seemed to be opposed is because they for some reason think that Wei WuXian's rank outstrips Wangji's. Whilst, sure XiChen supposed in the conventional means Wangji's status as a Sect Heir was beyond WuXian's as Head Disciple. Even then, it was ludicrous to worry about the reputation of a sect that had next to nothing to do with them outside of trade agreements. There was no reason that they should be worried about the reputation of the Lan, because it had nothing to do with them. In all reality, if they truly thought that Wei WuXian was below Wangji's level, they should be grateful that they were proposing this solution.

Madam Yu had reeled back at XiChen's cold assessments, and staring at the two Lans with wide eyes and blinking profusely, as though that was going to change anything. XiChen did not care for the wronged woman act. He did not roll his eyes, but it was a near thing for a Lan. Much more for the Sect Leader to want to roll their eyes at such...ridiculous acting. He managed to contain himself, though it had been quite the close call. Jiang Fiengmian was just sitting there, not a care in the world. It made XiChen want to rage, but he merely took a deep breath, trying to control his anger and rage, breathing in, and contemplating the best solution to continue this. He would not allow these people to talk about his Brother's future intended like that.

"Either way, Wangji wishes for this marriage. As does Wei WuXian, and as a Sect Leader I do not really see any reason to be opposed to it. If I can't see any reason to be opposed, I do not see why it is that you would. Furthermore, it would do wonders for your sect's reputation, so why is it that you seem to be so horribly against my brother's desire to marry your Head Disciple. Unless, of course, this had nothing to do with Wei WuXian being of supposedly lower stature, and instead there is a different, underlying reason, and this is the only thing you could think of to attempt to convince me and my uncle that this marriage was unsuitable." XiChen's words left the Madam nervously picking under her fingernails.

"Considering both myself, the elders, and XiChen is in agreement, perhaps we should move from whether or not the marriage is or should take place, and start speaking of a dowry." XiChen's uncle intervened smoothly. "Considering the situation is as it is, Wei WuXian would be considered the 'bride', as Wangji is a Sect Heir, and therefore unable to leave his duty to Gusu, therefore Wei WuXian will be living at the Cloud Recesses, will be taking Lan Wangji's last name, and we will, of course, support him financially. Do you see any problem regarding these things?"

"You want us to pay a dowry for the brat?" Madam hissed, her eyes narrowing, her face tinging a deep red as her eyes grew heated at the very audacity of the thought. She had never anticipated this upon making the way to Gusu. She had thought they would be able to call the wedding off but it was clear more than ever that such things were simply not going to happen. She did not really know what to think about that. How was she supposed to continue this...this...

"Well, he is your disciple. You took him into your house, and he is your ward, or am I mistaken?" XiChen questioned idly, tilting his head slightly to the side in curiosity, waiting to see what they would say in regards to his question.

"You are right," The Sect Leader finally said. It was about time that he actually intervened in this conversation, because from what XiChen had managed to gather, there was very little he particularly gave his opinion on, and he seemed to just allow the Madam to do whatever she wanted, which was not painting a promising picture for how things went on in the Jiang Household. "We are his guardians, and as such, we will gather a dowry for his marriage. Please inform us as to what you would like." XiChen hummed, glancing to his uncle.

"I don't want you to see him again. Either you, your wife, or your children. That is my stipulation." He ignored the gasp of the two before him. "In all actuality, we don't really need anything from you. This marriage is merely because Wangji desires it so much, and there is no reason to refuse it. It does not benefit us, but it does not negatively affect us either way. You...you will be getting more benefits from this marriage than the Lan will, and we have no need for anything you could offer us."

"You can't..." Jiang Fiengmen fell silent at XiChen and Lan Qiren's harsh looks both directed towards him.

"Can't we? Wei WuXian deeply wishes this marriage. He has already stated he will do whatever it takes to ensure that it is viable. There is no reason that he has to be a member of a clan, or a sect, in order to get married. His parents did the same, did they not? When their sect refused to notify their marriage, what was it that they did?" He watched as a dawning realization began to make its way onto the Sect Leader's face. "Wei WuXian truly is his parents' child. I am sure you have noticed this at least a little bit from the time he has been with you."

It was a threat, and a true observation mixed into one. Jiang Fiengmen slowly exhaled in frustration, trying to ignore his wife who was currently clenching her fists in anger, but even she was not angry enough to attack a sect leader in their own home and territory. He worried about what would happen when they returned, though, and there was not much he could do to reverse this. Lan XiChen was right...after all. He saw it, he knew it, he could tell.

"Very well." He said simply, a shrug of his shoulders moving to stand up. "Thank you for seeing us today." XiChen bowed his head slightly.

"Let me walk you back to the barrier."