48

Wangji was beginning to get concerned. Though the betrothal was not necessarily public knowledge, he was beginning to think perhaps it should be. Despite Jiang Cheng's reheprensible nature, he had noticed that some were beginning to mutter about Wei Ying as well, which was simply not acceptable. Gossip was forbidden, but it always managed to find its way around somehow. He was dwelling on these thoughts when something quite obvious came to his mind...Wei Ying. he could easily ask Wei Ying what he thought should be done. Perhaps he would h ave to be careful with how he worded himself. Wei Ying was quite observant after all, and perceptive. It was partially why Lan Zhan loved him so much. He was an amazing indivdual. Either way, slander against his beloved could simply not stand, and Lan Zhan would be remiss in his duty if he allowedi t.

Before he spoke to Wei Ying, however, he needed to speak with Nie Huaisang. The Nie heir was quite well versed in the gossip mill, no matter where it was that he seemed to be. It was annoying, to an extent, but this time it would be useful, and perhaps Wangji could even use it...though he would have to speak with his brother first, he did not want to do something that his brother would scold him for later, at least, if he aasked now perhaps he would be given even better ideas that he would not have had before. His Brother was quite good at these sorts of things, after all. Wangji was not, he was not one for social...anything. He did not care for it much, and cared even less for gossip. He could understand its use, to an extent, but it did not mean he intended to keep himself updated on what was going on.

Finding Huaisang turned out to be quite a bit easier than Lan Wangji felt it would. He remembered the Nie heir cowering in the face of his presence, as most of the guest disciples did in the end. Still, he supposed it suited his purposes more than it did not, and with Wei Ying temporarily occupied with his brother, Lan Wangji did not have too much time to spend talking to the Nie Heir. He would need his information, and then call it good. He did not have time to waste, and while he did trust his brother he just did not want to leave his beloved with Xichen for any longer than he strictly had to. Wei Ying was still trying to get used to things, leaving him with his brother for extended periods of time would not help in that regard.

"Young Master Nie," Lan Wangji stated, his voice solemn. he saw the young heir squeak, jolt, before stopping and turning to look at him, fan waving over his face, eyes flickering about him as though searching out the nearest escape. Not that would help him in the end. Wangji had ways get what he wanted even if the young Nie did not want to share. He would, though, Lan Zhan was certain. From what he could tell, the Jiang heir had fallen out of favor with Nie heir-not that he had much favor in the first place-and he did seem to care for Wei Ying, which would ensure Lan Zhan's own certainty that he would be more than capable of obtaining the information he wanted.

"Lan Er Gongzi, how wonderful to see you, I did not expect you to be about alone around at this time..." The Wei Ying is usually with you went unsaid, but clear enough that Lan Zhan caught it. He did not allow that to deter him, merely humming before continuing, beating right to the point rather than taking his time to traverse the pleasant political schemes.

"You...are up to date with the gossip in the area...what is going on with Wei Ying in regards to them." The Nie heir stared at him, eyes wide, flabbergasted expression upon his face, or what little of his face was visible from behind the fan. He seemed to compose himsmelf fairly quickly, though, and Lan Zhan was greatful for that. He did not have the time to waste with these emotional recourses, Wei Ying was still with his brother after all.

"Well, suffice it to say...some good...some bad. Many think that he is being remiss allowing Jiang Cheng to act the way he has been. Some thing he had doen something to cause Jiang Cheng to act so poorly. Of course, nobody really knows what is going on, and I think that is the main issue." Huaisang gave Lan Zhan a stern look, rather surprising given the more timid nature of the Nie heir. Still, he supposed Mingjue had to have rubbed off on the boy at some point, considering he raised him.

"Thank you," Lan Zhan said swiftly. "I will speak to you later. Or Wei Ying will." He saw the Nie heir's eyes light up at the promise, of a sort, but swiftly turned and walked away before he could be asked anything further. That answered it. The betrothal will simply have to be announced sooner rather than later. Wei Ying's reputation should not be shattered simply because Jaing Cheng did not want to act appropriately. Not that it would matter one way or another. Once the marriage was announced everyone would know that Wei Ying was simply doing as he was bid, however it would be better for this information to get around sooner rather than later.

He would have to talk to XiChen, which was just lucky that he left Wei Ying with him, considering that meant the other was unable to escape Lan Zhan's questions and demands. Not that his brother had ever been known to do so. XiChen was quite accomodating when it came to him, and Lan Zhan would like to think this was because Xichen and him had a good bond. They needed it, after all, especialyl considering how their Uncle was.