Fallout

I hadn't even heard the news anchors introduce me when I got the cue that I was now live.

Like a flip of a switch I slipped into my role as a reporter. My voice was steady and clear as I began the report.

"Greetings Gotham. I come to you with breaking news following the murder of Gotham's own mayor, Anthony Garcia." I read aloud as the teleprompter steadily scrolled before me. The tightness in my shoulders loosened and the stress over Jack, prison, my life as I know it melted away. When I was in front of the camera nothing else mattered.

"Eye witness reports have come flooding in from those in attendance. I come to you live to offer a first hand account of the tragedy as I, Y/F/N Y/L/N, was the last person to speak to the mayor alive." My eyes remained focused on the teleprompter but I saw the entire crew behind the camera stiffen from my peripheral vision. No doubt the entire city reflected the same response.

"I spoke with Mayor Garcia about the recent crimes against Gotham by the newly named 'Joker'. He voiced his confidence in our city to overcome this new foe." I recounted that terrible evening as I spoke. Anthony's face flashed before my eyes. Stop. Now wasn't the time to fall into those memories. I had a job to do and the hardest part was yet to come.

I saw the next lines scroll, but I couldn't read them as another memory forced its way to the surface.

———— Last Night ————

I opened the car door to exit and make my way up to my apartment. My arm was caught within the Joker's grasp. I turned around to meet his eyes.

"Now listen here, dearie." He licked his lips, smoothed his hair back, and scooted closer to me. He spoke with his hands as he continued. "They're going to want you to say things a certain way. I'm going to need you to... well...not do that." He snickered. I stared back at him with a confused look, not really sure what he was getting at.

"I'm saying that your little "news force" is going to want to keep you on a leash. I want you to uh... break it." He trailed his finger along my neck where a figurative collar would have laid. He smiled wickedly. My breath caught in my throat at his touch. He seemed to notice and giggled at my response.

"You'll be my good girl and tell them exactly this..." He stroked my hair and it took all my strength to not melt into his touch. I hated that he had this effect on me. I chalked it up to the praise and dismissed the thought once more.

———— Present ————

Jack's words from last night played back in my head. If I stuck to the news prompt in front of me I may have a chance of avoiding any consequences with Gotham PD. This report was safe, but it was also a half truth. The words praised the mayor and shown a bright light upon him in honor of his death. It rallied Gotham to stay strong, to stay together in the wake of this loss.

There was more to this story though and I never left out facts, regardless of the fallout. This story was no different. It just so happened this truth carried the weight of my entire future with it.

I now followed it blindly because this was bigger than me. The citizens deserved to know the truth. Even if that truth was painful and frightening. They had a right to know. And so I continued on.

My next lines were spoken quickly. I didn't know when they would cut me off. I had one chance with this.

"It seems his confidence was misplaced because the very man that he swore to take down was the very one to bring about his demise. That's correct. The Joker himself was behind this attack and the one responsible for Mayor Garcia's death. I met with the Joker himself last night and he had these words to say, 'You will not sleep. You will not rest. You will know no peace until this city is in ashes.' Haunting words indeed. Thank you. This is Y/F/N Y/L/N. Be safe Gotham."