Party

Sorry for the delayed update everyone! I work in the healthcare field and my work hours have been crazy due to COVID-19 pandemic. Enjoy the chapter! Stay safe~

Jack's words had been all but revealing. As I now sat in the back of a limo with him I still felt just as lost. As soon as I had slipped into the dress I was whisked away into the limo.

I was thankful to be out of that tiny room, but this uncertainty of our destination and objective was putting me on edge. I should know now that everything to do with the Joker was a surprise. When would he start looping me into his plans?

He broke the silence and interrupted my thoughts.

"Now darling I'm uh, going to have you do something for me. You do this for me... and I'll make you the Queen of my Kingdom." He cracked a smile and giggled.

I was hesitant to accept. Firstly, he hadn't told me what I'd be doing exactly. As much as I wanted this story and to earn his trust there were lines I couldn't cross. I prayed he wouldn't ask me to kill anyone. Secondly, I'm not sure what the title of Queen entailed. Did I want to insert myself into that role? I'd be risking my chance at innocence when I escaped if I became too involved in his schemes.

"What exactly would you have me do?" I eyed him skeptically. This caused him to laugh again.

"Oh I'm just tickled that you asked." He pulled a laptop out from some kind of secret compartment beside him. He popped it open and rested it on my lap. I remained still as he scooted closer to me. I was beginning to feel more comfortable with his close presence. Although, I still kept my guard up.

He typed in a few keys and up popped what appeared to be blueprints. I studied them, but didn't recognize the building's layout.

"Let's set the scene. Every year the Gotham Fire Department holds its annual Fireman's Ball at The Quinton. So fancy. You see, the mayor of Gotham always attends. He's a big fan of the work they do. Blah, blah, who cares." Joker explained in detail as he flipped through a few slides on the laptop. Pictures of previous Fireman's Balls displayed on screen along with pictures of the mayor himself. A middle aged dark haired man. The venue itself probably cost a million to use. It was grand.

I was slowly beginning to piece things together.  I assumed I'd be attending this ritzy ball in this ridiculously expensive dress. I didn't imagine Jack would be joining me. His presence would cause a stir at the least.

"Now here's the plot, my dear." Jack continued as he pulled up the blueprints to what I now knew was The Quinton. A lavish building that many of Gotham's elites used for parties and fundraisers.

"You're going to walk your pretty little self in there and make nice with all the snobs playing good guys. You'll be the popular kid in school. Everyone is going to want to talk to you. You're practically a celebrity thanks to our screen time together. Oh, they're going to eat you up." Jack snickered. I looked at him nervously.

"Now, now (Y/N). You're my little uh,  star and you'll have them eating out of the palm of your hand in no time. But our focus tonight is the mayor. He'll likely come to you, but I need you to take him here, to stage left." Jack pointed to the far left corner of the venue.

"When you get him there things will start to get crazy on set. The cameras will keep rolling so you need to keep him on stage."

All these movie set innuendos were throwing me for a loop. From what I gathered I'd find the mayor, take him towards the back of the room, and keep him there. But why? Was the mayor his target?

"What's going to happen?" I eyed him carefully. There was no telling what could go down with Jack's definition of crazy. It could be anything from someone wearing mismatched socks to leveling the entire building. I wasn't sure what Jack's feelings were towards me, but I think it was a safe bet to say that he didn't want me dead. The questions was: Is my life more valuable than the outcome? I wouldn't put it past the Joker to sacrifice in order to gain.