𝟏.𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐗-𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

IF EVEYBODY THOUGHT THAT THE
devil had escaped Brooke Bentley, then everyone on Sunnybrook lane, specifically those close to the number 303, knew that her old obnoxious alter ego  now existed inside both Luke and Laura Bentley instead. The mother and father of not only the girl herself but also her eldest brother, Mason Bentley.

The youngest Bentley often found herself hating Fate. She hated horoscopes, the idea that people were fated to love certain people was something she found unfathomable. She didn't like star signs, or astrology. Because if there really was some truth behind the idea of fate then that would mean that she was fated to be born into a household that would be tender and affectionate, only for it to be ripped away from her and that was something she hated the universe for.

Luke and Laura Bentley had once been the American dream. They had a very sizeable and exorbitant wedding with many photos of the day being framed around their suburban home. In them they looked utterly infatuated with one another and the two children often found themselves hoping they would be as loved up as their parents were when they got older. Oh how they regretted those words now.

It was at the age of sixteen that Brooke Bentley found herself hating their house, the pictures and the memories in it, because the couple in-front of her wasn't the same one that had been there years previous. What stood before her as her parents now we're two people who barely spoke a word that wasn't shouting, never showed any affection and had drifted so far from the feelings they held on their wedding day that they were no longer in sight. And she hated that.

Another thing she hated was history. Not only because that was what the love their family held had become—History. But also because she was completely, utterly, undeniably and unfathomably horrid at the subject. She could barely remember the date and what she had for breakfast the day previous, let alone a date and what happened on it a hundred years before.

So as she lay on her stomach, her laptop resting before her on her bed with half a History essay written on it, she had given up. And for a girl who got straight As in English, she sure as hell was struggling to think of a coherent sentence. The words 'And so...' had been written on her laptop over an hour ago, and since then a hundred groans and complaints had left her lips.

But her concentration only diminished all the more when Laura and Luke Bentley stormed into her room, the door subsequently smashing against the wall, hard enough to crack the plasterboard. "Brooke, did you do the dishes?" Her mother asked, crossing her arms over her chest as she glanced towards her father who was stood beside her with a frown settled on his features.

The brunette didn't look away from her laptop screen—the same laptop she was seriously considering throwing from her bedroom window—when she answered. "No." She spoke simply, resting her head against her hand in defeat.

"See, I told you it was me!" Her father exclaimed, exasperatedly as he threw his hands up. Despite his insistence, Brooke's mother still didn't believe the man she married, rolling her eyes at him in disbelief.

They remained silent for a moment and Brooke thought that they might finally leave so she could continue not doing her History paper. But much to her disappointment, her mother suddenly thought of another subject that she could argue with her husband over. "Only because you don't work. We wouldn't even have water to do the dishes with if it wasn't for me."

With an annoyed sigh, Brooke rolled onto her back and sat up to face her parents. "Would you mind having this argument else where? I have a history paper due tomorrow and I don't want a detention on my first day of sophomore year." She explained, gesturing towards the blinking text finder that was waiting for her to finish her her work.