I.

The halls of the FBI Headquarters were always cold

        The halls of the FBI Headquarters were always cold. The air conditioning flowed through the vents with excessive force, and none of Marjorie Sloan's jackets were ever quite warm enough.

The blonde woman walked quickly through the doors of the Crimes Against Children Unit with an espresso in hand and case file in the other, her cellphone wedged between her shoulder and her ear.

"Mark, I'm delighted that you miss me for once but, again, I can't just drop everything and visit you. My work schedule would never allow it, you know that," Marjorie explained to her brother.

"Hey, I'm a surgeon, I have a crazy work life too. I'd still come and visit you whenever," his voice came through the small device.

"Yeah. A plastic surgeon. I'm sure Veronica would allow you to postpone her nose job appointment," she bit back, making up a random name.

"Please! I'm so lonely! Ever since Derek left, New York isn't fun anymore."

"Well, you should of thought that through before you slept with his wife."

"Marj!"

"I have to go now! Bye!"

"Ugh!"

Laughing softly, she hung up. She sat at her desk and opened the case file. Her unit had been investigating a rumored pedophile ring in the DMV area, but they'd made no progress in the recent weeks.

The young agent stared at the papers in front of her, stumped. She sighed as she heard footsteps approaching behind her. Turning in her chair, she faced her boss.

"Before you say anything, I know I was late and I'm so sorry. I just-"

"Sloan, you're not in trouble, don't worry. I do, however, need you in my office."

Marjorie nodded slowly before standing up to follow her. They walked into the small room and her boss shut the door behind her. Her boss was much older. She was tall, lean, and had short dark hair that curled up slightly at the ends. Agent Moss sat in her desk chair, giving a tight lip smile to the younger agent.

"Agent Sloan, I assume you know of your reputation around here," The woman began. Marjorie's eyes narrowed, showing confusion. "Once again, you're not in trouble. It's a good reputation. Many agents around Quantico agree that you are one of the best hostage negotiators we've had in a while. Certainly the best one our unit has had. Your work with that mass pre-school kidnapping last year was and still is admired by many."

"Thank you, Agent Moss. That means a lot."

"Oh, it wasn't a compliment. It was a statement of facts."

"Oh-"

"The point is," She interrupted the blonde, "A District Attorney from Connecticut, Evan Davenport, his daughter has been kidnapped and is being held for ransom. The Behavioral Analysis Unit has been called in to work the case but Agent Gideon has requested your help specifically. Not our unit, you."