V.

The bullpen at the BAU was empty and silent as Marjorie paced anxiously

     The bullpen at the BAU was empty and silent as Marjorie paced anxiously. She knew the team was landing tonight, and she heard what had happened on their case. She needed to see Elle.

Finally, the elevator dinged, and the group of profilers appeared. She marched up to them, laying eyes on her dark-haired friend.

"Elle, oh my god, I heard," she grasped the woman's shoulders. "Are you okay?"

Elle nodded solemnly. The rest of the team lingered for a moment, watching the interaction, before walking away and minding their business.

"Talk to me," Marjorie begged, "I know we've grown apart this past year, but I still care about you. Remember back at the academy, we promised each other that we'd be there through every success and every trauma? I'm here, Elle."

Her friend sighed, "I know... thank you. But I really think I just want to be alone right now."

With a gentle nod, Marjorie released her grip, "Okay... but you'll call me?"

Elle gave a tightlipped smile, "I promise."

Then she walked towards her desk. Marjorie watched, concerned, before feeling eyes on her. She looked around briefly, eventually catching Hotch's gaze from his office. She narrowed her eyes in confusion when he looked away. Curious, she made her way towards him.

Approaching the office door, she peeked inside hesitantly. "Could I come in, sir?" She asked.

Hotch paused what he was writing, staring at her, then nodded. "You're a good friend to have stayed so late for Elle," he said.

"I'm not one to break promises," she responded. Clearing her throat, she asked her next question warily, "Sir... What happened? I mean I know enough to be concerned—like the fact that Elle had to kill someone out of self defense—but I feel like there's more I don't know."

The man sighed "Agent Sloan, you know I can't share details of the case—"

"With all due respect—Agent Hotchner—that's not going to work with me. I am also a federal agent of the bureau, and I have worked with this unit several times. My friend just went through a trauma... I wish to know more about it. And I know she won't tell me."

There was a brief stare down before Hotch gave in, "We were hunting a serial rapist. Elle... went undercover. She was supposed to lure the unsub into a house by walking out while he was watching. We told her not to wear her gun, but when it came down to it... she didn't listen. She panicked and approached the vehicle the unsub was in, arresting him at gunpoint. Eventually, we had to let him walk because we didn't have sufficient enough evidence to hold him. Elle lashed out, yelling at me and causing a scene. I let her off for the night. Next thing I knew, she was standing beside his dead body claiming he forced her hand when she went to confront him."