VII.

"What?" Marjorie said quietly, somewhat in shock by the information

"I know it's a lot to take in at once, but if you remember, during the last case we worked together, I told you you'd be my first pick. That's still true. Despite everything that's happened with Elle, this is one thing I do agree with her on." Hotch explained.

The woman's heart pulsed in her ears, she cleared her throat, "Agent Hotchner... while the BAU has been my dream for a while... I don't know how I feel about taking her spot. Especially considering the context."

Hotch sighed, "I know, I know. I assumed you would say that. Yes, the circumstances are less than desirable, but the fact remains that you are who this unit needs right now and in the long run. Of course, it's your decision. Take some time to think about it and get back to me."

Slowly, Marjorie nodded her head. "Thank you," she told him. Then she shook his hand and left his office, her mind spiraling.

Elle lied to her, told her she'd tell Hotch the truth. But she also advocated for her, got her the thing she'd wanted for so long. She had no idea what emotion she should be feeling. She needed as much time to think about it as possible, but she also knew this position would not be waiting for her forever.

—————

Later, she found herself in the break room chugging a canned Diet Coke. Laying her head on the table, she wanted to cry and celebrate at the same time. She felt like she was at her breaking point. Then her phone ran. Looking at the name, she exhaled. She'd never been so relieved to receive a call in her life.

Answering it, she held it up to her ear. "Marj!" The comforting voice called out.

"Hi big brother," she smiled tiredly as she spoke.

"Uh oh," Mark said.

"What?"

"You never call me big brother unless you're in need of the big brotherness."

Marjorie cringed, "Don't say 'big brotherness'."

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine... No, I'm not."

"Oh boy, what's up?"

Sighing, the blonde woman shook her head despite him not seeing her, "I don't wanna dump on you. What's up with you? What're you calling for?"

"I was just gonna ask your advice on something stupid that's not important anymore. I wanna talk about you now. What's wrong?"

"Um..." Marjorie hesitated, "You know how Elle and I have grown apart... ish?"

"Mhm."

"Well... she's gone. She left the bureau for good and didn't tell me. Her boss had to tell me. And not only that, I think she quit for a reason... Mark, I'm worried she did something bad."