iii

• third person •

Ah... my bad. That must have frightened her a bit.

Poor little thing... running off before she even allows herself to process anything... Has she really not changed in the slightest?

Or... is it that...

I see...

A menacing chuckle erupted through the silent winds, followed by two rapid claps in succession.

"Come on, men. Chop chop. We haven't got all the time in the world."

Ah well. Whatever she does, with husband or without, eventually she will have no choice but to comply.

• • •

Rapid footsteps echoed through the grassy area. Crunches of leaves were flung almost anywhere, and Diluc's crimson hair almost whacked his own face when he whipped around, his weapon in hand.

His pupils dilated. Immediately, he lowered his weapon.

"What are you–"

The woman before him doubled over, gasping for breath, before frantically turning her head, her eyes darting across the entire grassy land crowded with brooding trees.

Her shoulders fell slightly, as if in some sort of relief, sweat trickling down the side of her face.

Diluc's head tilted. "Did you miss me that much?" he asked with a smirk.

(Y/N) didn't realise his question. A piece of paper was scrunched in her hand, her chest heaving. It was only now Diluc had realised she was shaking.

And... she wasn't wearing any shoes...

"I knew you'd still be near," she whispered between heavy breaths. "Thank Barbatos..."

"(Y/N)–" Diluc blinked, his mind filled with perplexion. "Are you alright? S-sit. Your feet are bleeding. Here, let me. Just catch your breath, okay?"

(Y/N) nodded, allowing Diluc to lift her up. They stood near a hilichurl camp Diluc had just dealt with. He placed her inside one of their wooden huts, before pulling out a few bandages and wipes.

"Don't do this again," he mumbled, beginning to deal with the small cuts and grazes. "You drank a little too: you need to be careful."

(Y/N) tried to say something, yet nothing came out.

Diluc looked up at her. She was still shaking.

"What's wrong?"

(Y/N) shoved the paper into his hands.

"Th-they're watching us... 'G'- they're watching us– They might be here!" she whispered. "I- I- found this in our room... In our room..!"

Diluc's eyes narrowed as he read the letter.

"I don't know what to do," (Y/N) cried. "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"I don't want to go back to Snezhnaya." (Y/N) buried her head in her trembling hands. "They're going to kill me."

Diluc's lips pursed.