xxvii

• third person •

Diluc could only gaze at her fondly when she stepped before him, her pretty eyes so wide, so puzzled. So endearing.

(Y/N) blinked when he held out his gloved hand. For some reason, she didn't hesitate for a second, carefully placing her palm into his.

Diluc remained still. (Y/N) pouted slightly, her pupils flickering in silence.

"(Y/N)," he called softly. "Have you been well?" he simply asked, his thumb caressing her hand. "I've missed you."

(Y/N)'s cheeks warmed, unable to meet his loving gaze.

"I've been okay," she replied. "But you didn't answer my question."

A small chuckle escaped Diluc's lips. He stepped forward, leaning down a little. "You'll know in a bit. I just have a lot to say to you first, if you're willing to listen."

(Y/N) lifted her head. Diluc's tilted, awaiting her response, before she only nodded, instantly raising the corners of his mouth with a smile.

"Well, first of all..." he began, fiddling with her fingers. "The most important thing I have to say is... I'm sorry."

(Y/N) could feel her lips tremble just at those two words.

"You have every right to know about my past, and everything I have done or that I still do... I thought that hiding these things from you would ease the burden of knowledge upon your shoulders... but I never thought how... how detrimental it would have been to your heart had you found out everything from something else other than me."

"I... I don't blame you for being scared of me. And you shouldn't have to stay with someone you're scared of."

"But... as I've told you before... you... changed me. You changed me for the better. And that, I will forever be grateful for."

"I would have loved to learn everything about your past, just like you have every right to know about mine. I'll tell you everything you want to know or confirm, if that is what you wish."

"I just... want you to know that..."

Diluc lifted his head slightly, meeting her glossy eyes.

"You will always be the person who saved me."

"If telling you about my entire past will bring us closer, then I will tell you every single detail, good or bad. I won't hide anything from you anymore."

So warmly, Diluc smiled, his fingers clasping with hers.

"Because... we go through everything together now... don't we?"

(Y/N) blinked away her tears, turning away slightly. Diluc's smile faltered.

"I'm not entitled to your past," she murmured. "I'm sorry, I... was angry when I said..."

Diluc shook his head. "I think you are entitled to it. After all, I found out everything about you without your consent. It's only fair that you know my ugly sides too. You have no reason to apologise."

"I'm... not scared of you, Diluc," (Y/N) mumbled. "I-I... I know you've changed. I was just... startled..."

Unexpectedly, Diluc burst into a quiet laughter. (Y/N) pouted once again.

"You don't have to explain anything to me. I'm the one who's doing that. You really must stop feeling guilty for things that aren't your fault," he said with a chuckle.

"So..."

(Y/N)'s pupils dilated when Diluc's grip on her hand suddenly loosened. He dug out something from his pocket. His knee was on the ground.