An Offer

I found a lake and began to perform maintenance on me equipment. The chance to finally bathe again, after a year of traveling. Well to an extent, still it was something I was excited for. Feeling somewhat clean was very refreshing, though I could only do so much without any soap. I still smelled awful but at least I don't feel all sticky and greasy. I reached for my sword only to see the scabbard, alone.

"What... Where's..." I began to look around for my sword only to hear a soft roar. Though what was strange was that I understood it like it was speaking. I glanced over to see a small dragon crawling around, it's eyes shut tightly. I already understood what happened and approached her. She was the size of my forearm, and instantly wrapped her tail around it as she nuzzled against my fingers.

"Were you really that impatient?" I questioned. She roars and I heard her reasoning. She had no voice but I could feel the basic intent of her thoughts.

"For you. Lonely." It's like trying to translate a foreign language, but I understood enough.

"Thank you, Neo." I said patting her head with two fingers, she responded well with the name, "Don't worry, now I know you're really with me. I'll be fine, you can wait till you get a proper body." With that she returned to being my sword. I placed her back in her scabbard, and patting her hilt gently.

"Liar..." Was all I could feel emanating from her.

A whole year has passed since I awoke in this world. Azure has been teaching me about Wild Magic, the magic primarily used by dragons. It was very easy concept to grasp, though that's probably due to my Job class. Wild Magic seems to not follow the rules of the game, so I'm assuming Wild Magic is the true magic of this world. Though I'm not fond of the requirements to use such magic.

A human settlement, that leaned more towards a city than a village, sat in the distance, "This human settlement is ravaged by some of the Emperor's strongest. Killing them will send a message to all. Humans, elves, dwarves, even dragons will know of your strength." Azure said as his head hovered beside me. He walked more to avoid raising any attention to himself.

"You sure it's fine for me to slay them?" I asked glancing at him. His burning amber eye shifted to meet my gaze.

"Yes." He replied, "Your reputation has started to spread. They believe you to be some myth, which is good. They won't turn you away so quickly."

"Alright. We'll talk later." I said as he nodded returning to the forest depths. I walked towards the settlement, a wall surrounded the perimeter about 1 story tall. The gateway had two guards stand at the entrance, and they took an interest in my appearance. Their hands grasped the hilt of their swords as they both leered at me. One raised his hand at me as I stoped where I was.

"State your business." He ordered calmly.

"Just a traveler looking to rest and gear maintenance." I replied.

"Don't cause any trouble." He said as the two lowered their guard. I walked past them and was met with gazing eyes. I didn't have any connections here like the first village, so I'll have to consider my purchases carefully.

I found an inn and walked in as the innkeeper looked at me, "Welcome weary traveler. Can I interest you in a drink, a meal, or you looking for a room?" He asked.

"A room." I said as I approached the man. He stood behind a counter as he wiped it down with a rag. A woman sat there, a mug in her hand. She wore a dark cloak and hood over her. I noticed a dagger in her waist that she quickly covered with her cloak.

"Here you go sir. How long will you be staying?" He asked placing a key on the table.

"A week for now. Might be longer." I replied.