Chapter 16

Amaris was frozen.

She didn't notice when her siblings rushed to check on Esther, while Klaus darted upstairs when he heard Hope crying, and realized that Dahlia had taken her blood. She fell to her knees, staring at the charred body in front of her, her eyes wide, and tears streaming down her cheeks.

Am I worth dying for?

She didn't think so.

Should it have been me instead?

She had every intention of dying again. A part of it being to save herself from the pain of dealing with Klaus. Another part to maybe see her mother again, because she'd fulfilled her mission of meeting her siblings. Perhaps it was time to rest.

But she realized Mikael had had that intention, too. Something in him had decided his time was up. And the worst part was that Amaris didn't think he'd make it to peace.

"Why do things die?" she'd asked her mother when she was only a little girl. They were sitting by the river, and Soyala had just informed Amaris that her mother had passed.

Soyala sighed. "It is the natural order. We are born, we live, and we eventually die. It is a beautiful cycle, though it may hurt those of us that are left behind. Dying is inevitable. We must give what we can when we are able to. If our time comes... we accept it. We strive for peace. We must not be afraid of death, MarMit. Do you understand?"

Her lip trembled, and she started to bawl. "I did not want her to die. I will miss her."

"I know." She pulled her into a hug. "In our lives, we will experience many losses. We must learn from it. Grow stronger from it. Mourn, then move on."

"Will you die?"

"Not for a very long time. I will get to see you grow up. Teach you everything."

"Will I die before you?"

"No. Mothers should not have to bury their children. You are young. You will not die before me."

But that had been exactly what happened. Amaris died at the age of twenty-three, which was how old her mother had been when she gave birth to her. Soyala had been the one that grew old, and lived a full life.

Since that time, she'd experienced much loss. Her grandmother. Several Pack members who were like family to her. Adriel, even if she didn't mourn him. And then, because she deserted her Pack, she lost them all at once. She'd lost her own life soon after. Now, she'd just gotten to know Mikael but had ended up losing him, too.

There was so much she still wanted to ask him. About his childhood, about her siblings, about what he knew of her mother. She wanted to spend more time with him once things calmed down and they were able to meet without worrying about Dahlia. But now he was gone. And no one would be bringing him back this time.

"Amaris."

She flinched when Klaus was suddenly beside her. She turned and saw that Rebekah was placing a robe on Esther, covering her up. Freya was in tears, ignoring Mikael's body for the sake of staying focused on the

"Go upstairs," said Klaus. "Take Hope to the St. James Infirmary. Keep her safe. We will be back when it's all over."

"What about Kol?" she asked hoarsely. "Did Davina—?"

"Yes. He lost consciousness soon after the resurrection. Marcel will bring him by later."

She turned back to Mikael, trembling as she gazed over his now unrecognizable face. "Get Freya back," she whispered. "Please."