Chapter 29

Cami was driving Klaus crazy.

"She is not responding to calls!" he fumed, standing over Freya the next morning when Amaris joined them. "And Freya's Locator Spells are yielding nothing!"

"Perhaps if you gave me space," said Freya tightly.

"Klaus," said Amaris firmly before he could snap at her. "Cami opened negotiations. She'll contact you when she's ready, don't put so much pressure on Freya. I'll go out into the city to see what I can find, okay? When she calls you, let me know and I'll go with you. We'll need two people to carry all those boxes."

She gestured around the room. "Where are our brothers?"

Klaus huffed. "Kol the lovesick fool is with his little girlfriend again, and Elijah's gone to bother his ex."

"His ex— do you mean Aya?"

"Precisely."

"Why the hell would he do that?"

"Likely to keep her from figuring out what our current predicament is," said Freya, glaring at Klaus. "Stop hovering. Please."

He left the room entirely.

"Maybe she'll answer if I give it a try," said Amaris, trying to call Cami. The line rang several times with no answer. "Guess not. Wow. He really pissed her off. I am trying not to panic but maybe I should be."

Freya shook her head. "Don't panic, it won't help anyone."

"Cami is my friend and I love her but she chose to get back at Klaus by taking a toy that could kill all three of our brothers, and our little sister. She is a newbie vampire with no experience and she is hiding from us somehow! I bet Vincent's helping her. Which means more people know about what she's doing. Which means someone might find her before we do and then everyone will be dead!"

"Hey," said Freya, dropping her hands after another failed attempt. "We will find her and we will get that white oak. When we do, we'll burn it. No one will be hurt by it."

Amaris put her hands on her hips. "With the luck we have, do you really think this will all be okay? Cami, someone we trusted, who is going through something very difficult right now, took it, and we didn't realize it for hours. What if someone less close to us had taken it? What if someone like Aya had broken in and gotten it? What if Aya knows and—"

"You're starting to sound like Niklaus," said Freya gently. "Don't overthink it. Let's focus on what we can do. If she does not return it... if anything happens... well, Cami will not like the consequences."

"You can't seriously be planning to torture her for it. That won't help anybody." She put her hands together. "Klaus just has to give her what she wants, and she'll give it back... right? No harm necessary on either end? I want to be patient but I am scared. And frustrated. The morning started out so nice."

"Did it?" asked Freya curiously. "Why?"

"Had a nice dream," she lied, as if Lucien hadn't woken her up by kissing every bit if skin not covered by her pajamas. "A world where things were normal. I am so glad my semester ended so I don't have to put up with school. And work... fuck, I'm glad to be on break from that, or I'l be losing my damn mind." She took her leave, "I'm going to go do a sweep of the city. I'll be back if I find anything. If not, I'll meet Klaus at Cami's exchange location."

If Vincent Griffith was indeed helping her (as Amaris knew he probably was), then the Cloaking Spell would surely be fine-tuned to block against wolf senses as well. After all, she was trying to keep out a hybrid, not a witch. Amaris's nose and ears weren't going to do much good.