Chapter 28

"Good morning, love."

Amaris stirred, sensing someone was caressing her arm. "What time is it?" she said groggily.

"Eight," Lucien replied. "Your alarm will ring soon."

She turned to face him, giving him a weary smile. "You're still here," she whispered, touching his face as if she couldn't believe it. "Thank you."

"I'll need to go soon," he said, taking her hand and kissing the back of it. "I can hear your siblings moving around the house. If there is anything I can do... aside from holding you and hearing you talk about it all... please tell me."

She nodded. "If there's anything, I'll let you know. For now... I can't really dwell on it until I see what's happened in the past hours. Surely The Strix have a new leader... that Aya bitch."

"I imagine so," he replied. "Be careful with that one. Don't underestimate her." He pecked her forehead. "I'll come and visit tonight, again, if I am able to. Stay safe, love. Please. No more getting kidnapped."

She half-smiled. "If only I could prevent that."

"I should have been able to," he mumbled. "I should have been able to protect you. Whoever it was that took you, I surely could have stopped them if I was here..." he clenched his fists. "Knowing what they did to you, what they could have done to you... I despise being so powerless in keeping you safe."

"It wasn't your fault," she said. "They came for the pendant. I genuinely happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You couldn't have known."

"If I'd been faster in my search when you told me The Serratura was taken from Freya... I could have uncovered their plan. Warned you to keep the pendant hidden."

"Lucien," she said sternly. "Don't blame yourself. What happened to me was out of everyone's control. This was Tristan's doing. He is to blame. Not you." She sat up, grabbing his shirt from the edge of the bed and handing it to him. "I'll see you later, if possible. You ought to go, surely someone will come calling soon."

He nodded, and got dressed before slipping out the window. Amaris got ready for the day, and went down for breakfast shortly after. When she returned upstairs, she found Klaus heading to the room Cami had used when she stayed there.

"Why are you heading there?" asked Amaris gently.

"Camille transitioned," he said, taking her by surprise. He held up a blood bag. "I'm going to bring her breakfast."

"Wait, what?" she said in shock. "She transitioned? Why— why— what made her—?"

"I don't quite know," said Klaus. "She called me to her apartment late last night, and I found her drinking a blood bag. She asked to come and stay here while I had a daylight ring made for her. I had Freya finish it before bed."

"Wait, wait, what about Aurora? Is she dead?"

His mouth felt dry. "She escaped before we could kill her."

She tried not to look angry at him. "Well, then, when we find her, we end her."

He nodded, coming to a stop outside Cami's room. He knocked on the door. "Camille," he said. "Amaris and I are here to see you."

No answer. No sign of movement inside.

Frowning, Klaus forced the door open. The room was empty. All that remained was an empty blood bag on the bed.

"Okay," said Amaris carefully. "Maybe she is in another room."

Klaus started to look throughout the house, and Amaris followed, the two only stopping when they found Elijah in his study. "Where the bloody hell is she?" Klaus asked worriedly.