Chapter 13 wisdom

Hermione Granger was intelligent. The most intelligent witch of her age, everyone else's words not hers. That's why she knew this plan would work flawlessly.

Gregory Goyle, Pavarti Patil and Susan Bones were much more hesitant.

Goyle, because she was a muggleborn and the others were simply scared.

It's not her fault the Wizard they were affected too had no idea what he was doing.

A civilian who answered the call named Walter Laylo. As far as Hermione knew he was just a common merchant, but her daughter, who went to Hogwarts with them, spoke highly of her intelligence. So he let her call the shots.

They had settled a camp not too far from the tunnel supposedly leading inside the demigod colony. Of course they weren't the only unit on the scene, but no matter what Hermione did no one took her seriously. Either because of her age, or her blood status. Which she is certain Goyle was responsible of revealing.

So she was stuck formulating a plan alone in her tent. It was simple yet effective. A polyjuice potion was always effective. Yesterday she managed to put a lone guard to sleep and take her hair, before taking her away as a prisoner. A sleeping draught was enough to keep her uncounscious, but the number of times she needed to give her more was simply ridiculous.

She had no doubt this much would have put a regular human into a coma, or worse. It was quite fascinating.

The mission given to each unit was to do reconnaissance. What best way to do so than acting like one of the ennemy. The best way certainly wasn't flying above the camp on brooms. The wizards who attempted the stunt were all shot down. One even swore that his friend got struck by lightning.

"Are you sure about this Hermione?" Seamus suddenly asked from the entrance of her tent.

"Well it's not like anyone is even trying to make plans." Grumbled Hermione.

"Yeah, but we have no idea what's on the other side so maybe we should-"

"What do you want me to do Seamus?" Demanded the witch. "To sit around quietly like a sheep, like you. Or laze around like Goyle or take forty minutes to check my nails like Pavarti! Someone has to do something and clearly it's not going to be any of you!"

Seamus rolled his eyes and left Hermione to her own device.

She smiled as the potion took the right color and consistency.

She poured it in a bottle and took a deep breath. If she could trick teachers and students alike with this potion, she could trick them.

Carefully making her way throught the highway was dangerous, but she managed to make her way throught without getting hit. Although she did get a mouthful of creative insults from the American driver. Earning an eyeroll from the witch. Hermione drank the disgusting potion in one go. Her face twisting with disgust before it twisted in pain and discomfort as her entire body tranformed.

She was a few heads taller, her shoulders broader and her hair shortened down to her neck. Hermione stretched her sore muscles. If there was a way to make polyjuice potion painless she was finding it one way or another.

She walked throught the tunnel, surprisingly not finding any guards. Following the light she couldn't help the gasp that breached her lips when she walked beyond the light.

A large river seperated a hill from what looked like a large Roman military camp. She could see a city worthy of ancient Rome spreading in every directions. The ancient architecture taking her breath away.

The last time such a thing happened was when she first layed eyes on the castle of Hogwarts.

She walked down the hill half thinking about her mission, while the rest of thoughts were occupied by all the implications of such a place. Muggles clearly couldn't see it, so it meant that it could have been hidden ever since the fall of the actual Roman empires. It's ancient values and laws carried out thousands of years after their own fall.