n i n e

I ended up staying at Peter's for almost four hours.  We had been working on square roots and exponents and fractions.  My brain felt like it was going to burst.  

Peter set down his pen.  "Ok, I think we can call it a day."  

I pretended to be relieved.  "Finally!" 

"Oh, come on, I'm a good teacher!"  he argued back, a grin on his face.

"Uh-huh," I said sarcastically.

He closed the books and handed it to me.  "Here, you can keep these."

"You already said that, do you need me to worship you with thanks or something?"  I joked.

"That'd be pretty awesome," Peter replied.

I rolled my eyes, and stuffed the books in my overflowing backpack.

"Is that clothes in there?" Peter asked, his eyes darting to my bag.

I snatched the bag out of his line of sight, ignoring his question.

"Bye, I'll see you tomorrow," Peter said, getting my hint.  "Do you want a ride?"

"I'm good," I said, stepping out the front door, into the frigid air.  

He opened his mouth to protest, but I slammed the door, pulling my sweater around my body.

I began my walk to the streets.

The walk home felt stranger than usual.  My backpack, weighed down with clothes and books, (and 2000 dollars,) felt like an elephant wanting a piggy-back.  

I wanted to save my money.  Too much times, I had used my money on taxi fares and food. 

Food was cared for by school lunches, and I could walk.  Why else would I have legs?

I finally arrived at a decent looking alley.  I needed to be close to school, so I wouldn't have to walk a long way, but I also didn't want anyone from school to see me.   The alley was pretty clean, except for a few damp spots on the sidewalk, preferably from the light sprinkles this afternoon.

I set my bag down as a makeshift pillow, and stared at the trashbag abandoned in the corner.  

It started to move.

I scrambled back, about to run, when a furry face emerged.

The puppy was a very small, and it looked frightened.  It was dirty and thin, it's long tan fur tousled.  It had floppy ears and big dark eyes.  It stared at me queerly.  

I wanted to keep it, but I couldn't.

I didn't have the food, or the supplies.  

The dog came over to me, sniffing my bag.