s i x t e e n

I immediately stopped the car, and ran out the car, leaving the door wide open.

Charlotte was looked tired, but she was now rummaging through her bag, looking for something.  She pulled out a textbook.

"Charlotte." I whispered.

Charlotte's head whipped towards me, fear evident in her pupils.

"Peter?  Wha- What are you doing here?" Charlotte asked, standing up.

"Why are you here?" I asked, walking closer to her.

I could see the gears turning in her brain.

"There was no room at the shelter," she tried.

I knew she was lying.

"Why didn't you tell me?  Being homeless doesn't have to be an option for you!"  I told her.

She flinched.

I tried to calm down.  "Stay with me. Stay with Eli.  Stay with Julie, for heaven's sake!  Do you know- Do you know how much predators there are?  And you told me.  You told me that people are looking for you.  Freaking looking to hunt you down and hurt you.  Kill you!" 

Charlotte stayed silent.

"Say something." I told her lowly.

"This is my life Peter.  Since I was fourteen.  I escaped from the orphanage.  I told you.  Where else would I go?  The shelter is the first place they'd look.  Peter, I- Staying at someone's house isn't good for me.  You don't know how it feels!  To feel like the burden.  When they look at me, they only see a brick of pity.  You pitied me too!  Everyone who lays eyes on me freaking pities me.  You do not get to tell me what to do.  This is what I know.  This is all I've known for the past few years."  Charlotte screamed at me.

Her face was a contrast of red and white, from the cold and from her rage.

Eli walked over to us.

"Usually, I'd just stay back and let the lovebird talk, but you guys are getting pretty heated.  Didn't you guys just kiss and make-up?"  Eli shrugged.

"Shut up," Charlotte mumbled.

"Oooh, feisty!"  Eli joked.

I glared at Eli. "Eli, please.  Not now."

Eli looked defeated. "My house isn't too far from here.  I'll go home, bye Peter.  And Charlotte.  Sam says hi, by the way."  

I nodded.  "Be safe." 

Charlotte followed Eli's movements.  In a minute, he was already gone.

"Charlotte, I only want what's best for you."  I pleaded.

Charlotte scoffed.  'You're a year older than me.  That's not old enough to act like a parental figure."

"I know, but-"  I tried.