f i f t e e n

Sam had stayed with us, for two more days, before Peter told us that Eli would be back.

Eli lived by himself, and was looking a for a new roommate.  

Obviously, Sam didn't have anywhere to live, his parents had just left.  I still hadn't gotten the story out of him.  But Eli had gladly taken up the offer on rooming with Sam.

I think we were all a little more hopeful then.  
Sam's bruises and cuts were not completely healed, but some of the swelling had gone down.

I had stayed with Sam, but now, it was time to go back to the streets.  

It had been a pretty long time since then, but now, I had a bike, clothes, books.  Stuff.  Stuff I could call my own.

"My man!  Welcome to the house!"  Eli said, walking into the flat.

"Hey," Sam said.  "Sorry for-"

"Nah, nah, don't you worry," Eli laughed.

Sam smiled a little.  

"I've heard about you at school.  Aren't you rich as f-" 

"Not anymore," Peter interrupted, shooting Eli a look.  He closed his mouth.

They had definitely talked before this about Sam.

"Shall we go?"  Peter asked me, causing me to gather my things.  "Your bike is in my trunk." 

I nodded.

We walked out the door, huffing at the cold December air.  

"It's almost Christmas," Peter said.  "We're having a small party.  Julie's invited.  Eli's invited.  Sam too.  And a few others."  

Julie.  

We had avoided each other for a long time.  I was pretty sure that our friendship was over.  Which stinked.    

"When is it?" I asked.

"It's in 2 days.  I would have told you earli-" Peter explained.

"I'll go."  I said, pulling the bicycle out.

Peter came over to help me.  "Really?"

I smiled at him, giving him my answer silently.

Peter gave me a side hug.  "You want a ride to the shelter?  You could come stay with us."  

I shook my head.  "No, I'm fine.  See you on Monday, Maddens.  Have a nice weekend."  

Peter shook his head at me, grinning.  "See you," 

He tugged at the coat he had gifted me, before stumbling into the drivers seat of his car.

He gave me a little wave.