t w e n t y - f i v e

I waved a quick goodbye to Charlotte, knowing something was up between Peter and Char.

Not good intentions, at least.

She used to carry herself around tough and mighty, but now, she's a little more vulnerable.  And I don't know if that's either good or bad.

But I can sense a feeling of distance between the two.

Not like I'm a love expert or anything.  Just instincts.  

When I met Peter that day I was dumped on the street, I never expected to end up here.  Living in New York, healthy.  With a girlfriend too.  

I owe a lot to Julie.

Anyway, I remembered the talk I had with Peter when Charlotte was out buying some "feminine products" that we weren't allowed to see.

He had told me that he was just like Charlotte.  His past, the disorders, the imperfects, he had told me all of it.  I don't know why, but I think he had to tell someone.

He told me that he felt for Charlotte.  

And I think it broke my heart just a little bit.

But I moved on.

When Charlotte left, we all expected Peter to move on as well, but he didn't.

I think Peter might have slipped a little bit in front of Char.  And I'm not as mad as I should be.  Cause I know as well that everyone slips up time to time.  It can't be helped.  It's just the human nature.

I parked next to Peter's college.  I was going there to check it out, maybe decide if I want to send a scholarship.  

My phone ringed.   It was from an unknown number, so I pressed the decline button.

A few seconds later, the number called again.  Thinking it was an old friend or something, I picked it up.

"Sam, Julie is with us.  Either help us, or Julie dies." a whispering voice snaked.

My eyes flew wide open, recognizing the shrill voice.

My mother. 

I paused, but then heard a bone chilling scream.  Julie's.

"What do you want?"  I whispered.

"Tell us where Charlotte is.  That's it! Then you and Julie will be let off scot-free!"  she called.

I shuddered.  Either Charlotte or my girlfriend.  I didn't want to let down Charlotte.  And I knew she would most likely die in there.  

"We have access to all of your devices so we'll know if you call anyone," a male voice sounded.  My father.

I felt my heart drop down to the ground, shattering into pieces.  

I knew what I had to do.  It would be wrong if I didn't.  Julie and I-