Chapter Eight

Before either of them could move, they heard movement at the steps of the building. Christoph let go of her hands, turning to face the door as it was pushed open. James put his book down at the sudden disturbance, jumping to his feet to attack if needed. Christoph gave him a look, and James sat back down.

"Christoph!" A tall, broad shouldered man with dark, graying hair entered the room first, immediately embracing Christoph and patting him on the back, "It's good to have you back, son."

"Hey, Father. It's good to be back." Christoph smiled, and started discussing what he missed with his father. Adelaide didn't hear much of what they said after she heard him say "Father". He'd told her these witches were like family, not that they were his actual family.

Adelaide remembered the stories he told her about his dad on the road trip. He'd told her about his dad's strict rules and relentless expectations. The man in front of her wore khaki pants and a polo shirt, just like any other dad Adelaide had ever met. He seemed to miss his son, and greeted him kindly. Still, she didn't feel too excited to get to know him that well.

"So this is her?" Christoph's father suddenly turned his attention to Adelaide, and she froze in place. She wasn't sure if his question was directed at her or at Christoph, but it didn't matter - nothing came out when she tried to open her mouth to speak.

"Yes, Father, this is Adelaide," Christoph explained, gesturing toward her and then back toward his dad, "Adelaide, this is my father, Frederick."

"It's, um, nice to meet you." Adelaide answered after a moment of silence. She held her hand out, unsure if he was a hand shaking kind of guy. When he didn't take it, she got her answer, and lowered her hand.

"She's different than I expected. Smaller." Frederick said, eyeing her up and down and talking as if she wasn't standing right in front of him. Adelaide bit back a sarcastic response about his manners.

"Father." Christoph warned, giving him a warning glance. Frederick gave her one last look, narrowing his eyes at her. She squirmed under his gaze, wanting to be very far away. Luckily, he took Christoph's warning, and stepped away from them. He walked the length of the table, taking a spot next to the two thrones.

Before Adelaide could tell Christoph how rude his father was, they were greeted by another entrance. A short woman rushed through the door, almost running right into Christoph.

"Oh! Christoph, dear, it's so great to have you back!" She exclaimed, as if she was surprised to find him in front of her. Her dark hair was done in an elaborate updo, with flowers sticking out of it at odd angles. She wore a long, flowing dress the color of a field of grass, covered in small flowers.

"Adelaide, this is the woman I told you -" Before Christoph could finish his introduction, the woman suddenly turned to her and squealed.

"Adelaide!" She threw her hands in the air in excitement, and pulled Adelaide into a tight hug, "It is so great to see you again! I can't tell you how happy I am that you finally made it here."

"Again?" Adelaide asked aloud, pulling away to look at the woman. Her elaborate updo and dress were new, but Adelaide recognized her beaming smile and youthful glow, "Cora?"

"Wait, you know her?" James asked in disbelief, leaning his elbow on the table as he watched the scene unfold. Adelaide nodded slowly, remembering the day last week that her boss had asked her to onboard a new employee, Corrine. She reached a hand to her chest, gripping onto the key that still hung by the ribbon.

"The key!" Adelaide gasped, realizing where she had found it originally. Cora had dropped it and then never showed up to work again, "it's yours?"

"Oh don't be silly, Adelaide. That key has always been yours. I just helped it find you." Cora explained with a sly smile. Adelaide looked to Christoph, hoping he'd have some insight, but he looked just as confused.