Chapter Thirteen

After they had walked through the trees for about ten minutes, Adelaide started to hear the sound of water running nearby. Before she could ask about it, Christoph led her through some trees and they emerged on the edge of the forest line.

In front of them was a tall, steep rock formation with an arch at the top. There was a small waterfall running over the top of the rocks, falling into a river below. They emerged on the edge of the riverbank, with the perfect view of the crystal clear water and the mist of the waterfall. 

"This is beautiful." Adelaide breathed, stepping further into the clearing of grass in front of the riverbank. Christoph watched her admire the view, smiling triumphantly.

"My mom used to take me here when I was little," He told her, pulling the blanket from the stone house out of his basket. Christoph spread it out on the ground for them near the edge of the river, placing the basket on top, "we used to sneak out here and hide away from work or school. She told me that it was our secret place, and only we could know about it."

Adelaide looked away from the rainbow bouncing off of the waterfall, tilting her head at Christoph, "Then why are you showing it to me?"

"Because you're important to me," Christoph smiled at her, brushing away a piece of hair that was blowing in the wind, "I think my mom would've wanted you to know about it."

Adelaide felt her stomach flutter at his words. She thought about what James had told her earlier: something that special does not come along very often.

"Well I'm honored to be here," Adelaide grinned up at him, standing on her toes to reach up and kiss him. He looked at little surprised at her actions, but kissed her back eagerly. When he pulled away, he had the same stupid grin on his face as he plopped down on the blanket, patting the spot next to him for Adelaide to sit.

"So what else did you bring in your basket?" She asked as she took the spot next to him.

"I was a little rushed, so I have to admit it's not my best work," Christoph smiled at her, pulling items out of his basket, "but I've got blueberry muffins and hot chocolate."

"Okay, how did you know those are my favorites?" Adelaide asked in disbelief. She was sure James had filled him in at some point. Christoph smiled at her proudly.

"It's what you ordered at the coffee shop, the day we met."

Adelaide felt her heart flutter. It felt like that day was years ago, and what she ate at the coffee shop was not the most interesting that happened at the shop, by far. Christoph had barely spoken to her then, but he was apparently already paying attention.

She didn't know how to tell Christoph how much she appreciated the gesture, but he seemed to understand from the smile stuck on her face.  He handed her a muffin, which was still warm. She took a bite eagerly while he poured them some hot chocolate from a thermos.

"This is so good." Adelaide commented, blueberry muffin still in her mouth as she spoke. Christoph laughed at her as some crumbs fell onto her lap. He handed her a small mug of hot chocolate, leaning back on his elbows to watch the river in front of them while she enjoyed her breakfast.

"So, since we're doing this first date thing the right way," Adelaide asked in between bites of muffin, "what else is on your list of requirements?"

"Well," He started, tilting his head as he thought about his answer, "there's always the risk of potential danger; kind of a first date necessity."

"Oh of course."

"Maybe some light, casual discussion to get to know your date better. You know, like, getting to know their family."