Prologue

Of all the things the Pravat-Ahn's would never have to worry about, neighbors was on top of their list for they had none. The mansion they dwelled in was hidden somewhere between the tall trees and mountains, far away from the dull mundane city life and people's curious eyes. A perfect hiding place for figures like them, whose names were always chanted either in whispers or yells and whose footfalls were traced by the steps of others.

Henceforth, when the youngest of the family, Liberty "Libby", aggressively honked their parked car in order to rush her very own twin brother and her dearest family-friend, nobody said a word.

"Chittapon! Are you planning to commit a mass murder? People are going to die from cold and hunger! Hurry up!"

The said brother, Chittapon "Ten"--currently stacking canned foods in a box--exchanged a glance with the woman a few years older of their age who just stepped into the living room of the mansion, carrying blankets.

Being a Two gave the family a blessing to give back to people as much as they have received luxury.

"Jisoo noona, did Libby wake up on the wrong side of the bed again?" he asked, grimacing at the noise his twin sister created.

"If that's the case then she wakes up on the wrong side of the bed everyday, Ten."

Another round of car honking parade battled her utterance. Apparently, Liberty was not yet done.

"I hope you're still considering to hire an etiquette teacher for my dear sister. She has a serious anger issue."

"Considering your sister's temper?" the older girl questioned. "It's impossible."

÷

Prince Jeon Jungkook, the Son of Eastasia, had always thought that his search for love would begin with a "once upon a time" since the Selection--a competition for his hand in marriage--was quite a fairytale.

He had been waiting for hosting the said "dramatic" tale for years, wondering if it was the key to his happily ever after. Because, at last, maybe he wouldn't be so lonely anymore. Perhaps he could finally claim the palace his home.

To have someone to share his struggle and happiness with, he was overjoyed.

The premise of The Selection was to find a woman of his liking within a month, his very own lover who is capable of carrying the weights of the crown and giving birth to a male heir to the throne once he reigns.

It was simple. Supposedly, it was. Until he met Kim Miyeon. Like a blink of an eye, suddenly, he wished The Selection would never happen for he already knew whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

The Prince, without a doubt, had overestimated himself by thinking that he was somewhat immune to Miyeon's charm. All those walks around the palace, conversations they had over a cup of tea, and subtle glances they exchanged in a room full of a prosperous crowd ... who would've thought it would grow a different kind of comfort and make him long for her company for the rest of his life?

He couldn't help it. He wanted a life with her, one that would last forever. There was no doubt that The Prince was smitten.

His very own royal advisor, Kim Namjoon, however didn't appreciate the thought of his dear sister marrying the crown prince. He had strongly opposed another family member being politically involved in the monarch.

But love, especially young love like theirs, doesn't acknowledge danger. So they strung a promise that Miyeon would join the Selection to win the people's heart and a blessing from his parents. Then they would get married. A happy ever after in waiting.