Chapter III

"Liberty Pravat-Ahn

"Liberty Pravat-Ahn."

I glanced at his disheveled form in the mirror, the owner of the mouth that just uttered my name. He always looked miserable, but today was the worst version of his pathetic self. "Gu Chansung," I bid, refusing to address him as a journalist, "this is women's bathroom."

"Ah, who cares, right? No soul would pay attention to this poor man when the queen of the night herself is standing here," he mocked, winking at the girl who just came out from one of the stall gasping. "Congratulations on another successful movie premiere, by the way, honey."

Like I said, miserable, pathetic, and disgusting. Obviously not someone I hope to see to end the blissfully glamorous evening.

I dried my hands then left, walking away from his bullshit as I heard his steps following.

Gu Chansung always targets me in his made-up tales, persistent on tarnishing my name. The goal has been always on "unearthing" my family secrets. Apparently, he found the absent traces of my past intriguing. But, of course, everything has been wiped out. Father didn't pay a fortune for a half-assed assignment.

"Now, that's just rude, wasn't it?" he blocked my path, standing in the way. "Didn't mommy and daddy teach you respect? Oh wait, corpses can't talk," he feigned sadness.

Long nails digging into my palms, I was sure if I put more pressure on them they would break. Feeling anger slowly creeping up through my fingertips, I let it win.

"If I broke your nose now wouldn't that be a story to write? You're the type who would willingly let yourself get punched by a girl, Gu. Anything for the scoop, right? Liberty Ahn Got Violent, oh I could see right through you. But you know what? I won't give you that headline." I glared at him through my lashes, pinning my fury on his bloodshot eyes. "Suffer."

"You bitch," he hissed, raising his fist yet hesitating about his next move.

I scoffed. "If you lay a hand on me, I'll put you in jail, Gu, you know I can. Everyone is a slave to money and power. Unlucky for you, I have both."

The hate and hurt in his eyes worked like fuel to my anger, keeping it burning and alive.

"Run along now, creep around in the dark for a celebrity's romance like the rat you are and turn it into a cheap scandal. Gossips don't travel fast around here," I winked, which clearly infuriates him, and brushed my shoulder against his.

The swish of my gown against the marble floor along with the clicking sounds of my sharp stiletto signalled my leave.

Not far from there, I noticed my brother leaning against the wall, arms crossed as he smiled proudly. "Anger, anger. I didn't even need to save your ass there, Sis."