Gateway

April 19, 2024
21:30

It was late at night at the Cavallia Air Force Base. For the past three or so hours, a single F-15EX Eagle II was idle in one of the parking areas. The pilots inside were supposed to be well on their way over to Gracemeria after their transfer request from San Loma got approved. Yet here there are, still in parking waiting for the ATC to give them clearance. Why? The pilots were given a non answer of 'various complications' with no further elaboration.

Which left the two pilots in the F-15 twiddling their thumbs, or to be more specific; the pilot of the aircraft was attempting to find anything on his phone to entertain himself with and the Weapon Systems Officer had decided to use this delay to take an extended nap. It helped that it was also raining which made the backseater doze off a lot quicker than usual.

"Checkmate One, you have clearance to take off. Taxi to runway when ready." The ATC suddenly radioed in.

"About fucking time, my god." The pilot groaned out. "Expulse you sloth! Wake up, we're going now."

The WSO, Expulse, who had a neck pillow on groaned as he slowly woke up. He attempted to rub his eyes to wake himself up but forgot the helmet mounted display on his helmet was in the way.

"God dammit." Expulse groaned out as he stretched his arms as much as he could within the confines of the cockpit. "Maven, did we finally get cleared to takeoff?"

"Yep, took them long enough." Maven replied as he throttled up just enough to get the jet rolling.

"Lovely, I'm assuming they still didn't tell us what the hold up was about?"

"Nope."

Expulse sighed. "Why am I not surprised yet still disappointed."

"It is what it is." Maven steered the plane onto the runway, making sure to line it up roughly with the middle of the runway. "At least it shouldn't be an issue once we move over to an actual air base."

"Here's hoping."

The ATC radioed the two once the plane was in a good position to take off.

"Checkmate one. The runway is clear, you are cleared for take off."

Maven held down the wheel brakes and throttled up the F-15.

"Maven, Expulse. This is where we part ways. I hope we meet again in different squadrons."

Expulse grumbled in the backseat. "I sure as hell don't..."

"I heard that Expulse."

"Eat my ass Kevin. I still don't forgive you for cheating in bloody UNO!"

"Keep complaining and I'll have you both back piloting F-35s"

Both Expulse and Maven shuddered at the threat. Neither of them were fond of that jet for reasons that neither of them felt like explaining. Moving past that Maven refocused back on taking off.

"Checkmate One, taking off." The pilot released the brakes and set the throttle fully forward, purple hot flames spewing out from the engines as Maven engaged the afterburners.

Once the F-15 had accelerated enough, Maven gently pulled back on the flight stick, making the aircraft climb at a steady rate. The pilot raised the landing gear and set the flaps lever to auto.

"Checkmate one airborne. Safe travels to you two." The ATC contacted them one last time before leaving the two pilots alone.

The aviators continued to climb until they broke through the cloud cover. It was a full moon out, giving the duo some nice eye candy to look at as they traveled. Maven already had a waypoint set for the Gracemeria Air Force base in the HSI, making it easy for him to set the flight control system on to autopilot.